Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jmnsh

Can I pay my federal taxes due while federal taxes are in pending status

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Not through TurboTax, but you can make a payment through the IRS site.   Pending simply means that your e-filed return is on its way and that the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet.

If you are worried about the deadline - make a $1 payment through the IRS site.   Any payment scheduled in your tax return will be credited as on-time even if your return doesn't get accepted until after midnight tonight.  

You can file up to six months later when you have an extension, but your taxes are still due by your original due date.  You can get an automatic extension when you make a payment with Direct Pay, the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System, or by debit or credit card.    You can make a $1 payment or the full amount.  

When paying electronically, you must select Form 4868 as the payment type and the payment date to get the automatic extension. Keep the confirmation you receive as proof of your payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jmnsh

Thank you, Dawn. We chose the "balance due" option on the IRS site, (even though our Federal return is still in pending status), as none of the other options seemed right.  We've never been so late filing, but this year has been a tough one already.  Thank you so much for your quick reply!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies