Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ethadum18

Can I file an amended return electronically if I e-filed my original return using Free File Fillable Forms?

I did not e-file using Turbo Tax.  I don't see an obvious way to file an amended return at the Free File Fillable forms site.  Can I use another e-file vendor to e-file an amendment (1040-X)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Can I file an amended return electronically if I e-filed my original return using Free File Fillable Forms?

Here is a FAQ: Can I amend my taxes with turbo tax if I didn't file it through ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ethadum18

Thanks.  I guess I will pass.

It seems that, for TurboTax at least, I will have to enter all my filing information again with a new vendor (TurboTax in this case) EXACTLY as I actually filed, and then pay ($120 or whatever it is because it's too hard to find out what my actual price will be at the TurboTax web site) just to pretend to file (by declining to e-file and say that I will mail my return).  THEN TurboTax will allow me to e-file a 1040-X amended tax form.

I have not looked at other e-file vendors yet except the IRS's Free File Fillable Forms - as I said in my original post, I found no way to e-file a 1040-X with Free File Fillable Forms.  Intuit TurboTax, however, is clearly not the answer.

My search so far for a way to e-file a 1040-X is failing to find any acceptable option.  Remarkable in today's world.

I guess I'll be snail mailing my 1040-X.  Just to change one measly (but important) check box that won't affect the bottom line.  Who knows how long that will take to be reflected in the record (or how / if I will be notified when / if it is accepted or not)?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

What are you trying to change?

ethadum18

Re: "What are you trying to change?"

Not that this is relevant to the original question, but in this particular case, I want to change the state of the "Someone can claim: You as a dependent" checkbox.

The original question about e-filing a 1040-X is not specific to the change I just described, however.  I don't mind a bit of insight on the dependent issue, but that's a separate question /  discussion - let's not get too far off-topic (although I guess I opened the door in the side comment - "measly checkbox" - in my previous post.  Mea culpa).

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If this is all you are changing this would be really easy (and free) to do my hand. You can print a 1040X off of the IRS.gov website, fill it out and mail it in.

ethadum18

Yes, I know snail mail and all the associated delays / uncertainty is an option (see my previous reply).  Thanks, but that is definitely not an answer to the original question.  Maybe that is your way of indirectly saying "No I am not aware of any other method to use an e-file vendor to e-file an amendment".  If so, thanks for taking time to respond.  If I learn any new information for this tax year, I'll update here.  Maybe some day, support for filing amendments will improve.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies