Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgrier

Can I download a pdf version of a previous tax return?

The tax return is from 2020 and 2019. I have not been able to access these returns. They are .tax files so I downloaded the TT software and still cannot open the files. Please advise.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Start the 2023 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.

On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Well you cant install 2019 anymore or update it.  If you have the 2020 program you might be able to get it to work.  You need to do this……

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return .tax file is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to F.ILE - NEW).  Just enter some basic personal info like your name and address then click on the State tab at the top and it should ask if you want to download the state program.

Or if you can’t get a pdf file, You could try the TaxPrinter service (not connected with Turbo Tax) to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies