turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wschweik

I filed for an extension and overpaid in doing so, but my original filing before the original deadline actually went through on time. What happens next?

Filing at the last moment was not smart, but it went to hell when turbotax would not transmit my returns due to an error that was unresponsive to corrects (on paperwork for a job I did not even hold this year, but turbotax would not let me delete!). So, I went ahead and filed for an extension and paid, as is requested. However, I completely overpaid because I thought I was to pay for federal and state. Then I was able to transmit my federal return before midnight, but not the state (which the error was attached to). So did I pay double?? WIll I get a refund??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I filed for an extension and overpaid in doing so, but my original filing before the original deadline actually went through on time. What happens next?

Yes, the overpayment of tax will be refunded to you.

wschweik

My bank account now has two pending transactions: one for $2,401 (via Turbotax, and my correct Federal return) and one for $3100 (what I submitted with my extension request and erroneously including monies for state). Turbotax says I can expect a refund for $699. This makes sense if the IRS draws the $2,401 from $3100, but due to the appearance of both full-amount charges I am concerned it may not be so simple. Any suggestion? Do I wait to see what is actually pulled out of my bank account or should I take action while payments are still pending?
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 at this point, since there are two pending transactions; the IRS may just keep the 2nd payment and apply to the next year taxes... make sure to speak to an agent, do not select "refund" option...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies