turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Because I live in Mississippi, does that mean I won't get what I paid back in unemployment taxes? Trying to figure out if I need to amend my tax return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Because I live in Mississippi, does that mean I won't get what I paid back in unemployment taxes? Trying to figure out if I need to amend my tax return.

If you are eligible for the unemployment exclusion, the IRS will recalculate your federal tax return and send you a refund of the federal tax that you paid on your unemployment benefits. For the federal tax it doesn't matter what state you live in.

There is no tax break for unemployment on the Mississippi state tax return. Mississippi does not exclude part of your unemployment income from tax like the federal government does. All of your unemployment income is taxable in Mississippi. So you will not get any money back from Mississippi for your unemployment.

You do not have to amend your tax return. The IRS will recalculate your federal tax, and they do not want you to file an amended return. There is nothing to amend your state tax return for, because there is no tax break for unemployment on the Mississippi state tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you are eligible for the unemployment exclusion, the IRS will recalculate your federal tax return and send you a refund of the federal tax that you paid on your unemployment benefits. For the federal tax it doesn't matter what state you live in.

There is no tax break for unemployment on the Mississippi state tax return. Mississippi does not exclude part of your unemployment income from tax like the federal government does. All of your unemployment income is taxable in Mississippi. So you will not get any money back from Mississippi for your unemployment.

You do not have to amend your tax return. The IRS will recalculate your federal tax, and they do not want you to file an amended return. There is nothing to amend your state tax return for, because there is no tax break for unemployment on the Mississippi state tax return.

Thank you so much! It's all so confusing and I couldn't find the answers I was seeking anywhere, you really helped me understand better, I appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies