turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Automatic Withdrawal Change Date

Now that the date for filing federal taxes has been extended to 7/15, is it possible to change the scheduled date for automatic withdrawal of taxes from my checking account if I e-filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Seriously, we pay big $ to use TurboTax and expect that they can handle a simple task like allowing us update the automatic withdrawal date using your software. There are millions of users of TurboTax that must be effected by the change of date allowed by the IRS, the answer to call a number at the IRS is simply ludicrous. Does TurboTax think that this is a real solution when it effects so many of their customers. I filed early and trusted that TurboTax could handle this simple change. It appears that your CEO needs to have a call with Steven Mnuchin.

@steinjeaneric wrote:

Seriously, we pay big $ to use TurboTax and expect that they can handle a simple task like allowing us update the automatic withdrawal date using your software. There are millions of users of TurboTax that must be effected by the change of date allowed by the IRS, the answer to call a number at the IRS is simply ludicrous. Does TurboTax think that this is a real solution when it effects so many of their customers. I filed early and trusted that TurboTax could handle this simple change. It appears that your CEO needs to have a call with Steven Mnuchin.

You are asking for the IRS to change their requirements on how to cancel a payment.  Call the IRS.

Not even paid tax pros  have the ability to change the way the IRS requires this to be done.  

Good news  the phone call is quick and easy so give it a try ... have your return and the DD info in hand so it goes quickly.   I did this for an elderly client last week  and it only took 2 minutes ... trust me they are getting these calls a lot right now and they have it down to a science. 

Stupid and just dumb process. Took 49 minutes to cancel the payment and now have wait 7-10 business days to sign in and schedule a payment.

IRS is broken and TurboTax, if you can believe it is worse.

Really, a private company worse than the IRS (or for that matter any government entity), Yep

pierreTTax
Returning Member

TurboTax IS broken. I first attempted to file my 2019 returns (Federal and NYS) on March 31. The withdrawal date for Federal could be changed to 7/15, but the NYS date was still stuck at 4/15.

I had to call Intuit to let them know that it was on their website that NYS deadline was on 7/15. On April 4 the program was finally properly updated and I filed, specifying 7/15 for both Federal and NYS withdrawals.

The PDF that I saved then shows a NYS withdrawal date of 7/15. Yet my NYS payment was taken out today, 4/15. Talk about a screw up. It won't break the bank for me as the amount was not substantial, but I find it highly aggravating that TurboTax cannot be trusted for something this simple as a date. It probably only means that the 4/15 data is hardcoded (very poor programming practice) and whoever made the change from 4/15 to 7/15 did not update all the right places.

Pathetic.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies