pmaouyo

Are my online classes (relevant to my career) tax-deductible?

Hi, I took online classes through Udacity's Machine Learning Engineer Nanodegree program, and spent $2392 in 2016 on them ($299/mo for 8 months). These classes are relevant to my career and actually helped me get a better, higher-paying job. Are these classes tax-deductible?

Thank you.
HelenaC

Yes, education expenses you pay related to your present work as an employee may be deductible as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% rule.

To be deductible, your expenses must be for education that either maintains or improves your job skills, or is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job. Expenses to learn a new trade or job aren't deductible.

Get more details on deductions based on the 2% rule.

Job-related expenses are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses).

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
    • Online versions: Make sure you've gone past the blue Simple and accurate screen.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 2106 and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation, then click or tap Continue.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either select Edit (for an existing job) or Add Another Occupation (for a new one).

Tip: If the only work-related use of your car is commuting back and forth between your home and main workplace, don't enter any vehicle mileage or expenses. The IRS doesn't let employees deduct commuting costs.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing