turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anyone receive their refund from Amended 2020 return

I know the IRS is stating that the amended tax returns for those that filed before the American Rescue plan was put into law.  I am in the 1st batch( single with simple return) So I have two questions....1) Has anyone received their refund or a notice on the potential deposit date.  And/or  2) Are we going to be receiving paper checks or will they be direct depositing in accounts used prior to DD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Not likely, since Amended returns take 4-6 months to process.  The IRS only issues paper checks for these. 

However, if you are asking about the automatic Unemployment Comp refund (which generally does not require filing a 1040-X), the IRS will be starting that sometimes this month, and continuing throughout the Summer.  This will go to your bank account.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Not likely, since Amended returns take 4-6 months to process.  The IRS only issues paper checks for these. 

However, if you are asking about the automatic Unemployment Comp refund (which generally does not require filing a 1040-X), the IRS will be starting that sometimes this month, and continuing throughout the Summer.  This will go to your bank account.

Have you received your return yet?  Mine showed as completed on 8/20 but I have not received a check yet.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@supergymmom 

Since many here are mentioning 8/20, it looks like IRS posted the approval  a bunch of amended returns on 8/20.

But, where is the check ? the checks seem to be delayed.

We also are waiting for the check that is supposed to come of that.

Note: you won't get any more info out of "Where's my amended return" because IRS has marked it finished.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies