Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DaoistNature
Returning Member

Amendment

I am trying to amend my tax return because I forgot to include expenses in school like my laptop and other things. While trying to do it, it asked again if I received my stimulus. I received it AFTER I filed my tax return and back then I picked I DIT NOT RECEIVE IT. So my question is should I picked I RECEIVED IT in my amendment? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Amendment

On the amendment, say you did NOT receive the payments.  Since you received the payments as the Recovery Rebate, you don't want to change this on your amended return.    For the purposes of claiming the education expenses, you do not need to change the recovery rebate amount, Line 30 on Form 1040X.    Line 30 should match your original return.   Answer those questions the same way you did when you originally filed - like you did NOT receive the payments.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Amendment

Wait until you receive your Refund from your original return before submitting an Amended Return.

If you claimed a Recovery Rebate Credit on your original return, the IRS will adjust your refund if they show that you did receive the second stimulus payment, so the refund you actually get will be less than what your original filing indicates.

Click this link for more info on  Why Was my Refund Adjusted After Claiming Recovery Rebate Credit?

Your Amended Return won't 'catch up' to your original return and correct it.  It is processed separately and takes several weeks to complete. 

Then when preparing your Amended Return, you can indicate that you did receive the second stimulus, and the refund amount should match what you actually received (except for any additional refund you may receive as an Education Credit).

This link gives instructions on How to Amend Your Return

DaoistNature
Returning Member

Amendment

Hi. Thanks for replying. I did not get the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd stimulus until this march after I filed my tax return. I already received my tax refund with the stimulus included in it. So when I'll be doing my amendment on my tax return, I should pick the I RECEIVED MY STIMULUS right?

@MarilynG1 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Amendment

On the amendment, say you did NOT receive the payments.  Since you received the payments as the Recovery Rebate, you don't want to change this on your amended return.    For the purposes of claiming the education expenses, you do not need to change the recovery rebate amount, Line 30 on Form 1040X.    Line 30 should match your original return.   Answer those questions the same way you did when you originally filed - like you did NOT receive the payments.  

DaoistNature
Returning Member

Amendment

Thank you so much. You 2 have a great day. 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies