Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MIYF
Returning Member

Amendment Return for 2021 to file Form 8606

My 2021 tax return is filled and accepted, but I just realized I characterized my Backdoor ROTH contribution as a "rollover" rather than as a "conversion."  As a result, TurboTax did not generate and I did not file Form 8606 (as I have properly done in prior years). 

Rather than having to print and mail the IRS Form 8606, I would like to amend my 2021 return and take care of this through TurboTax via e-File. 

Can you explain how to do this amendment in TurboTax desktop?  I've selected "I need to amend my 2021 return," but when I go to 1099-R (withdrawals from 401(k), 403(b), IRAs, pensions) and selected "Update," it is asking me to input all the information again.  I don't want to report the same Backdoor ROTH contribution again.  I'm afraid the IRS with consider it $12,000 worth of contributions, rather than the single $6000 conversion I made.

I just need to get back to the screen when I can select conversion rather than rollover so Form 8606 is generated and filed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Please wait till IRS processes your original tax return to file your amended tax return.

Click on the link for more information on amending your tax return

Amendment

MIYF
Returning Member

Hi -

I IRS has accepted and processed my original tax return already.  I owed a little bit, and they've already debited the tax owed out of my checking account.  So everything for the original return is already done.  I need help with the amendment - not generic amended return instructions, but specifically how to file Form 8606.

@MIYF 

It's not clear from your post whether your tax is changing due to your error.

If your tax has not changed,

get Form 1040-X from IRS website and mail it in with your 8606, which you can also get in fillable PDF.
Note: since you are not changing any dollar amounts on your amended  tax return, you can leave all the lines 1-23 EMPTY.

Part III explanation: "didn't include Form 8606 with e-File".

MIYF
Returning Member

@fanfare 

Thanks.  You are correct - there is no change to the tax due.

But your solution involves printing and mailing a hardcopy.  In other discussion forums, it appears there is a way to do this via e-File via TurboTax with an amended return and form 8606.  That would be the preferred way - much easier and saves a few trees.  Is it possible?  If so, could you explain how - 

You have to go through the interview to get a correct Form 8606. ( you said you did not want to do that,

but that is unavoidable unless you are an expert on Form 8606.)

If you e-Filed 1040 you get only one 1040-X e-File.

If you do this on paper, you don't use up your one e-File that you might need latter  for other reasons.

TaxMan30

need to amend 2021 return to add Form 8606 to show my Roth conversion

@TaxMan30 wrote:

need to amend 2021 return to add Form 8606 to show my Roth conversion

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2021 tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-2021-return/L1gEU4G3X_U...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies