turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending

Is there a way to amend the 2020 tax return if it still says pending? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amending

No.

Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  The IRS will begin to accept/reject 2020 returns on Friday, February 12, 2021.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected.  If you do not see an email, check your spam folder.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. return.  

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Amending

No.

Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my return now?”  If you did that, you cannot do anything to fix it yet.  The IRS will begin to accept/reject 2020 returns on Friday, February 12, 2021.  You have to wait for the email that tells you if your return was accepted or rejected.  If you do not see an email, check your spam folder.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. return.  

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amending

I need the 1099 file

Amending

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed info

Amending

I just received an amended SSA—social security Benefit statement how do I amend my  income taxes

Amending

Thank you it helped

Amending

I recently e-filed my 2020 return and then received another    W-2.  I had received an e-mail and a text that my Federal taxes had been accepted on February 10th (2021) by the IRS.   As I understand it from what I have read, I just need to wait until I get my refund and then amend both my Federal and State and mail them in.  Yes?

I revised my Federal and State in TurboTax but have not done anything with them. What form(s) do I need to amend my Federal Tax?  (I know what form I need for my State).

Thank you. 

Amending

Ooops. I didn't read carefully. I need a 1040X to correct my tax form after I have my refund. I did save my original form because I printed it before I sent it. . 

Thanks again. 

bnt101615

Amending

I forgot to add a 1099R to my return so I need to amend it, it is no longer pending and has been accepted however the option to amend the return is not available 

Amending

I submitted my Federal 2020 and NJ+NY state taxes and they've all been accepted.

Now today, I got an email about getting some distribution for a company I worked for last in 2018.   I get logged into a site and there's a 2020 1099-DIV which was never mailed, texted, or e-mailed to me by the required date.

However the IRS sides with businesses on this and I will be considered to have underpaid even without knowing about this.  If it's substantial income (which it's not for me) it can be a high penalty so ideally I'd like to amend my return before April 15, 2021.

While I went ahead and entered the 1099-DIV, I can easily remove it.

But we should all be told when we can do the 1040-X electronically since TurboTax started this last year (per IRS) so clearly 2020 we can e-file 1040-X but just when can we do this?   There's no facility in the program yet and while we should wait for a refund, that doesn't make the software update itself so there's 2 dates:

1) When will TurboTax 2020 enable e-file of 1040-X

2) Individually we need to wait until returns are finalized which may be before or after 1)

Amending

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until March 18 (subject to change).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filers

Amending

When we do get the update within TurboTax (est 3/18) it should be super easy for it to do the basic calculations, as the manual 1040-X form is really that easy too.

E-filing it will speed things up all the way around, but if as in my case, I will owe more than originally e-filed, there's really no pressing need to e-file it since we have until April 15th to amend with zero penalty, just as-if it were our original return being mailed on that date.

My personal experience with the USPS is that you need certified mail and return receipt else in 12 years of me mailing (prior to e-filing ability), twice I didn't use that and twice they claimed not to receive it, however knew my exact to the penny tax which would have required them to know what was on my Schedule A in those returns (e.g., Charitable donations) so had to argue that with the IRS to not pay late filing/late payment fees successfully.

To another point: will state amendments also be readied for 1040-X timing?  Different states use different form names for amendments.

4allen

Amending

The latest advice from the IRS is that "Electronic Filing Now Available for Form 1040-X" for amending 2019 or 2020 Forms 1040-EZ and 1040-SR......

Doesn't Turbo Tax know this???

Amending

Do not try to change anything on your return now.  When you amend, your Form 1040X has to be prepared from the return exactly the way it looked when you filed it originally.   You have to wait.   Once your return has been processed you will complete a Form 1040X   --- which is not yet available --- and submit it to amend the mistakes made when you filed your original return. It takes the IRS at least four months to process an amended return.

The Form 1040X you need is under revision and is not ready yet.  The Form 1040X does not become available in the software until March 18 (subject to change).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/new-information-for-form-1040-x-filers

The 1040X will not be available in the software until March 18  You are correct that the the paper form is on the IRS site.   You can print out that 1040X form if you want to use it—-and prepare your amended return by hand to mail in instead of waiting to use the software and e-file it.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

jlkarp52

Amending

How do you amend a return that has been accepted by the IRS. Originally I filed a return showing only one stimulus. It turns out that both were received and the one I thought was missing was included as part of the refund.  the return has been accepted by IRS, but as yet no refund received. . What can I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies