turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending return that was filed using maiden (not current) name

Interesting situation, last year I field with my wife jointly return, she used her maiden name. Back then it was her name on SSA, Driving License, at work and on tax related forms. Then she changed to a married name and now it's on SSA, DL, work, tax forms. So this year is easy, we will use her new name now.

BUT.. unfortunately we need to amend last year (2022) tax return. The change is to only add one more form (1098-T), and that's it. We also change the address since then.

My question is, should we also change her last name on this amendment to the married name? Or, should we leave old maiden name as it is? The argument for leaving the old one, is that it was the "current" name at the time of original filling and we don't really want to change original return. Just add one more form. On the other hand we will put new address on the amendment, since it's just not comfortable to use old address where we can't receive mails anymore.

Also, a followup question. Just before sending return (online) TurboTax asks for Driving License data. Should we leave old DL data, with old name? Or use new DL data? It asks for expiration and issuance dates there.

Thanks for advice

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You definitely want to use your current address on anything you send to the IRS.  The address is used only for mailing.  If you use the old address and they mail you something (a refund check perhaps) they will mail it to the old address.

If your wife has changed her name with the Social Security Administration you should use her new name.  Keep in mind though that there is sometimes a lag between making a change with SSA and the IRS information being updated.  So it's possible you could have to change it her maiden name if you are e-filing the amended return.  Use the current driver's license information, but again, you might have to change it back to the old information if rejected.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you,

I just want to clarify this: "So it's possible you could have to change it her maiden name if you are e-filing the amended return". Did you mean that I should try to file it with married name, but I may be rejected and then I will be asked to change it back to the maiden name and amend again?

Also, the form we're trying to add is addressed to maiden name. I hope it's not a problem that "Jane Doe" is adding form with "Jane Smith" on it? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If it is rejected due to name match, you will just need to switch the name and then re-file. You will not need to amend again. 

No, it will not be a problem if the form is addressed to the maiden name and amended with the married name.

Thank you, I just verified with SSA and they have married name on the file matching SSN number. So, I will amend using a married name. 

Turbo tax has a question to add a note to the IRS what has been change in the amendment. On the top of the main reason (Added Form 1098-T), I'm gonna mention that the name has been changed from maiden to married. I wonder if this is even read by anyone though

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

That's a good idea. Yes. Most amendments are hand processed, so it's likely it will be read.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies