Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bondtradercu
Returning Member

Amending 2020 tax return and accidentally claimed I received stimulus prior to the filing the return while I didn't

Was confused when was being asked this question. 

Initially I put yes since after filing in 2020, IRS did send me a check for the stimulus - but now I realized they are asking me if I received the stimulus before, not after. After I checked yes, the due amount increased by 1800 to the IRS. What can I do to rectify this? I can't find this in the amendment process for the return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Amending 2020 tax return and accidentally claimed I received stimulus prior to the filing the return while I didn't

The IRS won’t give you the same stimulus twice. If you received the payment after you filed your original return but claimed you never received the stimulus, IRS will either correct or reject your amendment. They have records of what they paid you. 

The 2020 tax form (filing date April 2021) was written under the assumption that most Americans received their payments in 2020 or by early January 2021. That's why the question is worded that way.

If you received the stimulus and entered the correct amount,  your amended return is correct.

There were two 2020 stimulus payments — one and two.

If you still need to fix your amended return:

• Type "stimulus" in Search in the upper right corner
  • Select "Jump to stimulus"
  • TurboTax will show you the amount of stimulus you’re entitled to and ask whether the amount matches what you got
  • Say Yes if the amount matches. Say No if it doesn't
  • TurboTax will let you enter what you received and add the extra to your refund
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies