Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return

I am using TTAX Deluxe Desktop Edition for 2022.  I just did an Amended Return for 2022.  When I saved the Amended Return, it overlaid the original return!!!!!!!!  Now, when I go into TTAX and select Open Return, it takes me to the Amended Return, not the Original Return.

As I see it, overlaying the Original return with the Amended Return is a mistake.  All the Original forms seem to be saved on my computer but now they are not readily accessible in TTax because filename is no longer correct.  This should not happen.  Save Amended return to a unique file that is accessible by TTAX.  Don't overlay the original return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Amended Return

Once you complete the amended return, it does completely override the original. This is normal, since the original is no longer needed with the amended return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Amended Return

OK, I hear you but if the Amended return is going to replace the original return, then backup the original return to a different filename.  Don't just replace the original return.  Just my two cents and should be an easy programming change.  Always better to backup file before replacing.

Amended Return

@ilg10402021 I agree with you. I save my original as one file and once I started my amend, I click SAVE AS new file so it does not overwrite the good file.

I have onedrive backup every version to the clound, so even if I overwrite, I can go back to a earlier version. Turbotax software engineer definitely did not do a good job here regarding amend return.

I dont think they make a lot of money or have a lot of use case for amend return.

Amended Return

Totally agree with you.  TTax said it was going to overwrite the old file but I was dumb enough to click OK.  The old data is actually still there but with a filename ending in _Records.  So, none of the old data is really lost but still very poor programming.  I have Norton and it backs up some of my data every day, I think. So, old return might still be there.  I would have to check.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies