Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return - explanation statement only

Earlier this year, I sent a Form 1040 (not 1040X) for tax year 2020 to report a recharacterization of a Roth contribution of $3,000 from a Roth distribution to a traditional IRA contribution account.  I went thru TT and it generated an explanation statement, not a 1040X as no amounts, income, deductions, nothing changed whatsoever.  On top of the new 1040 Form, I wrote "Amended - Explanation Statement Only" and attached the statement.  It was the same 1040 Form just with the notation on top.  Now I'm trying to complete the financial aid process with the college that my son plans to attend in the fall.  They've informed me that the Department of Education requires a Form 1040X.  Can I submit this today, and just fill out Part III of Form 1040X with an explanation?  This is holding up our financial aid package, and I'm at a loss on what my next step should be.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If there was no change in your tax liability there was no need to send any additional documents to the IRS including no need to file a 1040 X.  Your official return is the original one so just give that to them. 

IRS says:

"when no dollar amounts are changing, leave lines 1-23 EMPTY."

You can file a 1040-X with you name address, SSN and Part III only.

Your 1040-X will get behind the over 2 million 1040-X returns still waiting to be processed.

That will take nine to twelve months at the current pace.

It is a waste of time and IRS resources.

You might as well just hand the signed 1040-X to whoever is asking for it.

But it will have no information !

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies