Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return affecting spouse

It looks like I was given EIC credit for a child that I specifically said I was not claiming. I have to amend my return, (I found most of what I need to do) but now the mother of my child is unable to file her taxes because it says her dependent was claimed, causing her to now owe a significant amount because of her withheld taxes. 

My question is since an amendment can take multiple months, what should my child's mother do? Will she have to file late once the IRS has received my amendment? 

I know this thread is swamped and I apologize for adding to that, im just soo confused and upset that I didnt triple check before I filed. Thank you in advance. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Since you already used the child's ssn for the credit and shouldn't have, then the mother of the child who was entitled to claim the child for that purpose will have to file a paper return to claim the child. 

Once a social security number of a taxpayer or dependent has been used in the system it cannot be used a second time for the same tax year.

It will take longer to process the paper return for her refund if she includes the child's SSN in it, but that is one way she can file it and get what she is entitled to receive.

The only other way is to file her return leaving the child off and then, once she gets that return processed, she can file an amended return including the child on it and it will be a paper return, filing for the additional refund.

Even though you will be amending your return to remove the child, the child's ssn still cannot be used for electronic filing for the tax year because it was already used.  Amending the return does not fix that.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Since you already used the child's ssn for the credit and shouldn't have, then the mother of the child who was entitled to claim the child for that purpose will have to file a paper return to claim the child. 

Once a social security number of a taxpayer or dependent has been used in the system it cannot be used a second time for the same tax year.

It will take longer to process the paper return for her refund if she includes the child's SSN in it, but that is one way she can file it and get what she is entitled to receive.

The only other way is to file her return leaving the child off and then, once she gets that return processed, she can file an amended return including the child on it and it will be a paper return, filing for the additional refund.

Even though you will be amending your return to remove the child, the child's ssn still cannot be used for electronic filing for the tax year because it was already used.  Amending the return does not fix that.

Thank you so very much for your answer. I have been stressing non stop since the error occurred.

Would you suggest if I were to have her file a paper return (with our child's SSN included), that should she wait until my amendment is received or does that matter? 

Thank you again, I really appreciate your help.  

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

It will not matter because IRS will not update the IRS master-file database after they process your amended return.

She will ultimately have to file paper to claim the child on her return since you originally claimed the child's ssn on yours, even if you do amend it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies