ekippen1

Amended 2020 return

I was notified by turbotax that I needed to amend my return to receive the unemployment tax return from the most recent stimulus bill. I am wondering if anyone knows if that means it will delay me receiving the money back compared to those who didn't have to amend. Will I still get my refund this month when they start sending out or will I have to wait the typical 16 weeks for an amended return?

JotikaT2

Amended 2020 return

If you already filed your tax return, you should wait until you receive that refund before processing your amended return.

You should then file the amended returns.  See the link below for more details on how to amend your return.

Steps for amending a tax return

Yes, it does take longer to process the amended return.  Please see the link below for more information on how to track your amended return after you file.

Where's my amended return information from the IRS

ekippen1

Amended 2020 return

@JotikaT2 Thank you. So since I already amended mine before receiving it did that mess up my chances of receiving the new IRS refund?

DavidD66

Amended 2020 return

It's difficult to say.  There are so many things that are being delayed with the IRS this year.  They may send you your refund be fore they process your amended return, or they may kick out your amended return for review because it has the unemployment exemption on it.  There's no history to rely on in this situation, so there's really no way of knowing what will happen.