Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended 2019 Tax Previously Accepted

I e-filed my 2019 taxes on March 26, 2020.  Then I realized I omitted to include one of my EFTPS prepayments.  The return was accepted by the IRS. On 6/22/2020 I entered the additional tax payment and the Federal Refund calculator jumped by that amount.  After completing my changes I printed and the 1040-X Amended file shows I have a refund due, which is the same amount I entered.  On lines 21 & 22  the additional payment amount is shown as if it is a refund, but it isn't. The form 1040-SR correctly applies the additional prepaid tax with the correct tax due on Line 23, but it doesn't show it is amended.  Not sure if I just send all of these forms to the IRS.  Need clarification.  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Do not amend or send the amended return until the IRS is done processing the original return and you get the first refund.  They probably will catch the missing payment and add it in for you.

If you mail in the 1040X amended return you only mail the 1040X not the regular 1040.  That's only what your return would have been if you didn't have to Amend it.

Thanks for responding... but I never paid the taxes due as the notice that the IRS was letting us delay til 7/15/2020 came just after I had filed....  Bad timing for sure!!

sanuaua

I need to cancel the extra premium packages that I DID NOT ORDER!!!!

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If you omitted to report an estimated tax installment, generally the IRS will find out from matching your tax return with your tax account and you do not need to send in an amended return.

If you have not yet paid the tax due shown on your original return, then all you need to do is pay the net balance (the original tax due less the omitted installment) by July 15. You can pay that amount on irs.gov/payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That certainly would be the easiest.....   it seems odd though for them not to have a correct return.  I won't be able to check it because when I tried to look at the numbers for 2018, to be sure it didn't get applied to that year, so I qualified it as 2019, I wasn't able to use my cell phone to check because it is under my daughter's plan and the site wouldn't allow me to use it for verification.   Grrrr......

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies