turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend a 2018 return using installed version

I am trying to amend a 2018 return and when I do it says that the 1040X isn't ready yet but will be available 3/6.  It's 3/15 and it's still not ready.  How do I amend a return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will not be able to amend your tax return until it has been accepted by the IRS.  Please see the below FAQ for more information on amending a 2019 tax return: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My return was accepted about a year ago now.  Note I said a 2018 return NOT a 2019 return, your answer should be removed.

@KSrB2000 wrote:

My return was accepted about a year ago now.  Note I said a 2018 return NOT a 2019 return, your answer should be removed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2018 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/01/27579

I followed these instructions and I still end up at a page that says the IRS is still working on finishing up Form1040X and it is expected 3/6/2019.  It's 3/28/2019 and the IRS has released form 1040X.  There is clearly something wrong with Turbotax 2018.  Please help.

@KSrB2000 wrote:

I followed these instructions and I still end up at a page that says the IRS is still working on finishing up Form1040X and it is expected 3/6/2019.  It's 3/28/2019 and the IRS has released form 1040X.  There is clearly something wrong with Turbotax 2018.  Please help.

How are you amending the 2018 tax return?  

Using the TurboTax online web based editions or the 2018 TurboTax desktop software installed on your personal computer?

As it says it the title.  Installed version AKA desktop.  I'm on the federal taxes tab->other tax situations->other tax forms->Amend a return.  This is where I get the error.

@KSrB2000 wrote:

As it says it the title.  Installed version AKA desktop.  I'm on the federal taxes tab->other tax situations->other tax forms->Amend a return.  This is where I get the error.

Make sure that the 2018 TurboTax software you are using is at the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

I have checked for updates and it is the latest.  Why is turbotax telling me the form is not out yet when it is?  How do amend my return per my original post?

It has been over a week.  Is there an ETA on an update to 2018 turbotax that works for amending returns?

Why is turbotax telling me the form is not out yet when it is? How do amend my return per my original post?

Maybe it thinks your original return wasn't filed yet?  Can you open the original return and go through the File tab and say you want to file by mail.  Then print it out so it thinks you finished and mailed it.  Then Save the return, File-Save.  Then try amending.

That did not work.  Is there any phone support for Turbotax?  It has been weeks since I should have been able to file my amended return and nothing suggested is working.

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes there is, please use this link to contact support, please also be sure to answer each question, this will allow your request to direct to the best person available to assist you with your situation: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

FYI for anyone who runs into a similar issue.  Opening a case with Turbotax phone support solved my issue.  Despite the fact that the check for updates feature said I was up to date, I clearly wasn't.  They had me install a manual update and now I can amend my return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies