Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After filing - direct debit

I prepared my son's return and after he reviewed it, we e-filed the federal.

Federal Acceptance date was 4/3/2021, per TT Home & Business desktop software.  We scheduled a  direct debit out of his checking account for 4/8/2021 to pay the amount he owed.

As of 4/9/2021, no indication a direct debit is taking place.  How do we know/verify the direct debit information has taken place?  We double checked the routing # and account #, and both are accurate.

When I go back into TT Home & Business, there is no way (that I can find) to double check that information.  We have a printout from TT, showing that information.

How do we know that the request for direct debit has actually gone through?  How long does it usually take for IRS to complete the direct debit?

We have done direct deposits in the past for refunds, but this is the first time we have done a direct debit for amount owed.

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

I don't believe that works for payments; direct debits

I think it only works for direct deposits of refunds.

I did try it, and it seemed messed up

**Disclaimer: Effort has been made to offer correct information; but due to the discussion forum limitations, the poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the poster's response**

Perhaps creating an IRS account would help.

According to this webpage, which also as the link to create the IRS account:

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

"Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.

You can view:

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments, if any

You can also:

• Make a payment online
  • See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
  • Access your tax records via Get Transcript"

I am experiencing this same situation as you @LudwigVan_fan . However, I'm having trouble creating the IRS account. Please feedback if the IRS account has the direct debit tax payment status.

In the past my direct debit had always withdrawn from the Checking Account on the day (or the next day) I indicate. This year's withdrawal behavior was different.

This Intuit Help Post has more information regarding the possible IRS's delayed direct debit withdrawals for tax payments this year.

Is direct debit took place? Mine is scheduled for 4/6/2021 and nothing happens to my account yet.

UPDATE on 4/21:

My payment was processed today.

alexton

I'm in the same boat.  I filed and it was accepted on 4/9.  I set the payment to be direct debited the same day.  As of today, 4/19, still no debit.

I tried to go back to TT to see if I set it up correctly and I can't retrieve that info.

Not sure what to do.

I'm in the same boat. I scheduled my direct debit for 4/8/2021 and it still hasn't been taken out of my checking account.  

BenjaminShawDavis
Returning Member

Same issue here.  It is painful to keep the funds in the checking account with no date certain of being applied.  No tools on TT for this situation and it seems to be a common one based on this thread.

Al_Tan

I am also having the same situation. Direct Debit was scheduled for 4/15 and the amount is still in account. The direct debit for the state return was withdrawn as scheduled.

Any feedback from TT or the IRS on this delay?

I just called the IRS and my payment was processed today. Their number is [phone number removed].  

Add our return to the list of still waiting for the IRS to deduct the amount owed from our account. Based on what I read on the IRS web site under "Pay Taxes by Electronic Funds Withdrawal" I am going to wait the 7-10 days that the site says before trying to call them. E-filed on April 12 with withdrawal date of April 15. Got an email saying that the IRS accepted our return on April 12. 

Of course, after posting this my bank account shows that it was taken out. only 9 days late.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies