turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do I file a 1065X (amended) return? 1065 was e-filed through TT, but it will not allow amended to be e-filed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Where do I file a 1065X (amended) return? 1065 was e-filed through TT, but it will not allow amended to be e-filed.

According to the Form 1065X instructions, the amended return must be filed with the service center where the original return was filed.

Find the mailing address for your original partnership return in the IRS link below, and mail the 1065X to that address.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there a way to e-file the amended 2017 business return or do I have to mail it in as I keep getting error that amended box not checked off on 1065 when it is?

It must be mailed.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

The IRS does not accept or process e-file amended returns. You will need to print and mail the amended return in with any supporting documentation. When you go to print and mail my return in the program, it will print the instructions and mailing address for you. 

keassouad

No address is provided. I believe it is still in a mode thinking an efile was done

Hi, Thank you everyone for your kind replies. It turns out it was giving me the error because I tried to e-file it in. It worked totally fine as a mail it. 

Sorry, this does not answer the problem if the return was e-filed. The IRS instructions are to amend a paper return. It does not indicate how to amend a return that was e-filed. How would you know which service center the e-file went to?

In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return then the proper forms and instructions will be populated. 

I am having this same problem with a previously e-filed return.  When I select to mail my amended 1065 x, and I look at the print preview the instructions still say Electronic Filing instructions.  It gives no address to mail the amended return.  Even the IRS instructions don't say what to do if you need to mail an amended form for a previously e-filed return.  

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

Use the link below to find the correct mailing address for your amended Partnership Form 1065 Return.

Where to File Your Taxes (for Form 1065)

Yes, thanks. That is what was posted back at the early part of this thread, and, as others pointed out it isn't helpful if you e-filed originally.  Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't say anything about what to do if you previously e-filed.  I called TT and they suggested I mail it to the address I would have used if I had mailed my original return.  Hopefully that is correct, but it sure would be nice for the IRS to clarify that in their 1065 x instructions.

MINNE 67
Returning Member

I need to add my pension.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

For assistance with an Amendment, please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  Please note, once the 2021 forms become available, they will be listed as a link in the Help Article.  

WxT1

If TurboTax will not let you efile an extension then the software should say "YOU MUST PRINT AND MAIL YOUR EXTENSION".  Don't take me to the end and let me select efile and then say "you have nothing eligible for efiling."  Please update the software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies