turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

OsvaldoH

Accidentally put myself as able to be claimed as a dependent for 2019 tax return

I accidentally answered yes to the question that my parents were able to claim me even if they DIDN'T claim me for their 2019 tax return. My parents paid none of their income on me, all of my income, expenses, and financial aid and loans were all through me. I am a full-time student and was working between full-time and part-time hours throughout the year. I just live with my parents and pay rent, but that's it. I fully support myself, so would I be able to change my filing status as "Cannot be claimed as a dependent" because they didn't claim me? This is why I am not eligible for the stimulus check, is there a way for me to fix this? Please let me know as soon as possible!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
tova1125
Returning Member

Accidentally put myself as able to be claimed as a dependent for 2019 tax return

I would like to know as well. Same happened to my daughter.

I filed correctly and made my own money with no help but my parents didn’t file their taxes so am I not eligible for the stimulus or what will happen?

AlanKuy
Returning Member

i have done the same, i was told we can amend this.. can i still be eligible for the stimulus if i go forward with this fix or will i be wasting my time?

Fernando A
Returning Member

I had the same issue, I filed my 1040x forms today. They take about 16 weeks to process so I’m wondering where I stand on eligibility of receiving a stimulus check at this point, IRS website isn’t very helpful either. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies