Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlm4260

About TurboTax 1040 short form


To:​
[email address removed]

Fri 2/9/2024 3:26 PM
Hi this Jerry M. and have been a loyal user of TurboTax for the last several years and have always bought the Disc and/or downloaded the current year of TurboTax.

This year I am wanting to try a different approach and just file the standard 1040 form with the necessary 1099 form to cover interest, dividends, and royalty information and using the 2023 Standard Deduction.  
So I am wondering does TurboTax have those form accessible and what would be the procedure for obtaining them and what Fee, if any, would be involved to accomplish my own tax with standard 1040 approach?

I do have log-in credentials to TurboTax for obtaining the required form to complete my tax for 2023!

Please Advise as I would like to accomplish this task before it gets and further down the road toward the April deadline for filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Since the tax laws changed for 2018 and beyond, everyone uses a Form 1040.  There are no more "short forms" ---- those are gone.  When you begin to enter information into the TT software you are preparing a Form 1040.

Your fee for using online TurboTax depends on which version you need to use for the kind(s) of income you are entering and which forms and schedules are needed.   

For more information:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

And just so you know—online prices go up in March—Pay your fee before then to lock in the discount

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

or---if you want to use the CD/download-----

CD/DOWNLOAD (This requires a full PC or Mac—-cannot be used on a mobile device)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

You can also purchase the CD/download from various retailers such as Costco, Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Sam’s Club, etc. etc. etc.

This link Where can I obtain authentic TurboTax software? has a list of authorized TurboTax resellers.

When you use desktop software, there is an additional fee to e-file a state return.  You can avoid that fee if you print, sign and mail the state return.  The state e-file fee is $20 and increases to $25 in March.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/product-system-requirements/minimum-syst...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

...or...are you concerned about the 1040 vs the 1040-SR?

Those are the same form, just larger type flowing to 3 pages for the 1040-SR flavor, for those age 65 and older.

Desktop/Download users can turn off the 1040-SR form, and print just the plain 1040 (selection is on the "Info  Wks" when in Forms Mode.  But all the other attached forms and schedules are the same with either.

...Online  software users cannot choose.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies