turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received late 1099Misc, how do I make correction?

My wife works for a company that is a dealership. I did my taxes over the weekend and filed. After filing (2 days ago) she received a 1099 Misc from the manufacturer because some of her bonuses were received directly from the manufacturer (unbeknownst to me). Brief version is I submitted my taxes without claiming the $675 1099 Misc. 

The IRS website says "If you realize you made a mistake but the due date for filing hasn’t passed, do not file an amended return. Instead, file another original return with the correct information." 

Is there a way to E-File this? To be honest, an audit would be a nightmare. I have $60,000 in deductions the last three years, I have all the info but am dreading the nightmare.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Was your filed returned ''accepted''?  You cannot file 2 returns for the same year.

It was listed as accepted. I’m confused about why it has that direction on the IRS website. Weird. Come next year my taxes are going to just W2 income and no deductions! Can’t wait!
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

That is great, but don't fret about the amendment; it happens all the time.  Double-check those 'IRS' instructions; there is something strange there as the IRS wouldn't  suggest filing 2 returns for the same year.  🙂

maglib
Level 11

@drbilly5191  here are IRS rules.  you must have copied something from another website as the IRS does not allow multiple returns to be filed.  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308">https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308</a>
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Yes please post a link to where it says to file another original return.

maglib
Level 11

TAS is an independent organization within the IRS.

That is clearly an error. Nothing on the TAS is IRS legal rulings nor laws.  It is erroneous information though. You may want to inform them.  Good catch.

"After filing your tax return, you realize there was a mistake, but you haven’t received any type of notice from the IRS yet
If the due date for filing has passed, you can submit an amended tax return to correct most mistakes. Be aware that you can’t e-file an amended return — it has to be on paper. If you realize you made a mistake but the due date for filing hasn’t passed, do not file an amended return. Instead, file another original return with the correct information."
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

The only way you can go back in and add the 1099-Misc. is if your e-filed return was rejected.  If your return was accepted, you will need to file an amended return to add the late received 1099.  Don't worry as this is NOT an audit trigger by any means.  If it was accepted, just wait until your original is processed and settled.  After the return is processed and you have paid or got your refund, simply file the amended return and add your wife's additional 1099.  I will give you the amendment link below, but please note, the form and link will not be ready until later this month.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies