Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 baby and 3rd Stimulus

I filed our 2020 taxes mid February and they were accepted. My husband and I claimed our son and our new baby who was born in 2020. Our AGI is well below the limit and I calculated that I should be getting $5,600 with the 3rd stimulus. $4,200 is pending for deposit which leads me to assume the government went off our 2019 taxes and didn’t count our 2020 baby as a dependent. What can be done? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
12 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

There's nothing you can do. It's up to the IRS. However, since you filed your 2020 income tax return, it's more likely than not that the IRS will use your 2020 information.

• Per IRS: You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

To read more about the third stimulus payment, see How will the third stimulus impact me?

As with the previous two stimulus payments, the third stimulus payment is not taxable to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It appears the IRS used my 2019 taxes as the amount I’ve received is less my baby born in 2020. 

Same problem here. I did not receive the $1400 stimulus for my 2020 born son even though i filed my 2020 returns on 2/19.  Will wait to see if it's included in my 2020 tax refund, which is still pending. If not, i am considering to do an amendment at some point to claim that money.

If your tax return indicated that you should be due a refund due to the Recovery Rebate, then the stimulus should have come together with your refund.  You might try looking at your IRS account to get more information:

You can check the status of your return  through the IRS website using your IRS Online Account.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You can view:

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any

You can also:

• Make a payment online
  • See payment plan options and request a plan via Online Payment Agreement
  • Access your tax records via Get Transcript

Here is the link to see your Online Tax Account.

@rajsv

I have not yet filed my taxes and I have a baby born in 2020.

Will TurboTax have an update to include the 3rd stimulus in the tax refund or should I just file now?

Thanks!

@ReeseYancey wrote:

I have not yet filed my taxes and I have a baby born in 2020.

Will TurboTax have an update to include the 3rd stimulus in the tax refund or should I just file now?

Thanks!

The third stimulus is not included on your tax return.    The IRS will mail a check based on the tax return  that you file.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/third-economic-impact-payment

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

File now.  The Recovery Rebate Credit that you can claim in your 2020 return, is only to replace the first two stimulus payments if you were eligible for them but did not receive them.

The IRS has not yet issued guidance on whether they will automatically make adjustments for the third stimulus payment or add a credit to the 2021 tax return for those who did not receive the entire payment they were due.  We will continue to post current information in this TurboTax article:  :  How will the third stimulus impact me?

Now that the IRS has extended the tax filing date, is it better to wait for Turbo tax to adjust and include the 3rd stimulus check that was missed like for all newborns from 2020?  

Or if Turbotax does not do this, then can we claim it through any other way?

@naveenjohn wrote:

Now that the IRS has extended the tax filing date, is it better to wait for Turbo tax to adjust and include the 3rd stimulus check that was missed like for all newborns from 2020?  

The IRS will send the 3rd stimulus based on your 2020 filed tax return.  It cannot be claimed on a tax return.    Until you file you will not get it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@naveenjohn wrote:

The third stimulus payment will not be part of the 2020 federal tax return.

The IRS has direct control over the distribution of the third stimulus payment.

Go to this IRS website get my payment website - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Go to this IRS website for get my payment FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

The third stimulus check has no effect on your 2020 income tax return that you need to file.  

If you had your baby in 2020, then you may be entitled to the Recovery Rebate Credit.

The stimulus payment amounts issued in 2019 or in January 2020 were based upon your 2018 or 2019 income tax returns filed.

The amount of the Rebate Recovery Credit is based upon your actual 2020 income tax return you file.  Therefore, if you meet the criteria for the credit, you will receive it when you prepare your 2020 income tax return.

Please see the attached link for more information on who can claim the credit.

Recovery Rebate Credit eligibility

I recommend reviewing your input in TurboTax to ensure you are answering all of the questions to ensure you receive the credit if you are eligible.  

1. In the Federal section, select the Federal Review interview section at the top of the screen.
  2. This will take you to the input section for the Recovery Rebate credit.
  3. Be sure to indicate the actual amount of each stimulus payment you received on the page that asks if you received a stimulus payment. 
  4. There will be two boxes and both need to be completed.  If you did not receive any stimulus payments, please indicate We didn't get a stimulus payment by checking that box.  Or input the amount of each stimulus payment you did receive.
  5. You should receive a credit on Form 1040, Line 30 for any credit that you are entitled to.

There will be a similar Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 Income Tax Return if you do not get any of the stimulus payments issued in regards to your new baby if you have already received your third stimulus payment.

Reconciling third stimulus payment information for 2021 tax returns

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies