Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2017 taxes filed by mail, but IRS wants extra forms!

HELP!

I filed my 2017 taxes using turbotax, BUT I filed them in February 2020.  Therefore I had to mail them, NOT electronically file.

I did NOT have health coverage in 2017 & stated that when asked on the 2017 tax questions via turbotax.  I received a letter from the IRS saying they want a 1095-A & the subsequent form 8962.  I'm not sure how to proceed, since I didn't have insurance in 2017!

Thanks for any help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Well the IRS believes you did have ACA insurance for which you should have had a 1095-A form. Were you on your parents insurance ?     Did you check with the ACA to see if you did indeed have insurance for any part of the year ?   https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/

If you did not have any insurance from any source then respond to the IRS will those facts.  

@cpaigemoore1966 wrote:

HELP!

I filed my 2017 taxes using turbotax, BUT I filed them in February 2020.  Therefore I had to mail them, NOT electronically file.

I did NOT have health coverage in 2017 & stated that when asked on the 2017 tax questions via turbotax.  I received a letter from the IRS saying they want a 1095-A & the subsequent form 8962.  I'm not sure how to proceed, since I didn't have insurance in 2017!

Thanks for any help!

The IRS should only send such a notice if they received a copy of the 1095-A from the health care provider with your name and SSN.    Contact the IRS with the number that should be the letter and discuss it with them.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies