Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gham1011

1099-r income

IRS sent a letter and requires a copy of 1099-r which was submitted with my Turbo tax filing.  My Turbo tax filing shows the Federal Tax withheld but does not show my Gross Distribution income from the 1099-R.

IRS is holding up my refund. 

Do I need to re-file?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

1099-r income

Why not simply comply with the IRS request and mail them a copy of the 1099R?   Your tax return did not have an image of the actual document; it only had the amounts entered--which were entered by you.   The IRS wants a copy of the document ---so send it.   You can get another copy from the financial institution that issued it if you did not save your own copy.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

1099-r income

@gham1011 you can not re-file as your tax return has already been accepted by the IRS. It's not permitted and will result in a rejection if you attempt to do so. 

As noted, you are to follow the IRS directions -

why do something different than they asked? that will only slow things down further. 

1099-r income

Your return doesn't have the gross amount on 1040 line 4a or 5a?  And the taxable amount on line 4b or 5b?  Maybe the income got on the wrong line.  What was it from, IRA or pension or?   If it was on the wrong line the IRS would miss it and say you didn't report it.  

1099-r income

You could potentially, go to Turbotax online under a different account name and password, and create a new tax return, being careful to enter the 1099-R correctly.  It might turn out that you owe more tax, if you somehow didn't enter the income but did enter the withholding.  I would still not attempt to file a new return or an amended return.  Just send the 1099-R copy as requested.  But, if you find that you made a mistake previously, you won't be surprised when the IRS sends a bill, and you can start preparing your funds if you need time to do so.  

Or, maybe you don't owe tax and you are misreading your original return.  But either way, if the IRS is only asking for the 1099-R, I would just send that and wait for their next response. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

1099-r income

Is the IRS letter about your 2023 tax return or an earlier year?

The IRS gets a copy of your 1099-R from the payer. It sounds like the IRS is asking for a copy of your 1099-R because the information on your tax return does not match the 1099-R that they received from the payer. That probably means that you made some kind of mistake entering the 1099-R in TurboTax (which is what VolvoGirl is suggesting).

@gham1011 wrote:

My Turbo tax filing shows the Federal Tax withheld but does not show my Gross Distribution income from the 1099-R.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that the gross distribution amount in box 1 of the 1099-R does not appear anywhere on your Form 1040? If that's the case, it's almost certainly because you didn't enter the amount in TurboTax.

Is the 1099-R for an IRA or for a pension? Look at the actual 1099-R form, not what's in TurboTax. What are the exact amounts in boxes 1, 2a, and 4 on the 1099-R that you received? Is the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box checked between boxes 7 and 8 on the 1099-R? What is the distribution code in box 7?

Now look at the PDF or printed copy of the Form 1040 that you filed. What are the exact amounts on Form 1040 lines 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, and 25b on the Form 1040 that you filed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies