turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040X owe payment

Hi, I realized that I need to amend the tax and owe 1222 dollars.

So, I file the form and about to send, but I know it is due July 15th and after the deadline, I could pay penalties if I am correct?

Is it possible to pay the owe that is not shown on IRS yet through direct pay online before file the 1040x to pay on time? or I have to send with a check and wait until they notice the file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

1040X owe payment

"

Normally, I believe deadline of submitting the tax and payment is based on the postmark of the mail.

Does this apply to 1040X as well?

" - yes.

Just for fun, send the 1040X by registered mail (USPS) or by a carrier - see this webpage - and retain the receipt, so that you can prove without any doubt that it was mailed in time.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

1040X owe payment

"I could pay penalties if I am correct?" - yes

"Is it possible to pay the owe that is not shown on IRS yet through direct pay online before file the 1040x to pay on time" - I would try that. Your payment should go into your account and wait for the 1040X. Of course, in these times, it's a bit difficult to say how things will be handled at the IRS in any specific case, but I don't believe the IRS ever complains about receiving too much money. And by the time they might decide to send it back, hopefully, they will have processed your 1040X and realized why you sent it.

"I have to send with a check and wait until they notice the file" - No, don't wait, pay now. Cut off any potential interest and penalties.

1040X owe payment

Thank you for your reply!

I have a quick question about the 1040x form deadline.

Normally, I believe deadline of submitting the tax and payment is based on the postmark of the mail.

Does this apply to 1040X as well? In other words, even if the IRS does not check and process my return and check by the end of the deadline, will this not consider as late payment and penalties if they arrive by July 15th?  

Thank you for your time and help

BillM223
Expert Alumni

1040X owe payment

"

Does this apply to 1040X as well?

" - yes.

Just for fun, send the 1040X by registered mail (USPS) or by a carrier - see this webpage - and retain the receipt, so that you can prove without any doubt that it was mailed in time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies