Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040-X gives file error

After taking me through endless prompts and seducing me into thinking I can file my amended return, TurboGlitch gives the following error:  "this form 1040-x cannot be filed electronically if there is a change in filing status"

(If that's true it would have been nice to tell me that 10 prompts ago.  Or is something else wrong??)

It gives me 5 potential check boxes

-No entry

-Amend single FX

-Amend married joint FS

-Amend married separate FS

-Amend qual window(er) FS

-Amend head of household FS

I have selected the last option because I amended from single to head of household. Yet, Turbo still doesn't like my answer.

Is there a fix for this or have I done something wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

1040-X gives file error

If you change filing status, or change dependents, you have to file Form 1040X on paper at the Post Office.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

1040-X gives file error

I have heard similar advice before, but it creates confusion for the following reason.

The IRS website states: 

• Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return.

Well? Isn't the person's NEW 1040 a "Revised Form"? And it certainly wasn't included with the original return. So it should be attached to the 1040X right? 

The only question is, should it be signed or will that confuse the IRS?  Alternatively, perhaps for this NEW 1040 attachment, and any other revised forms/schedules, the word "AMENDED" should be written across the top in big red letters?

Thoughts?

@fanfare

1040-X gives file error

@GlitchHunter 

General Instructions
"When you file Form 1040-X for a tax year, it becomes your new tax return for that year. It changes your original return to include new information. The entries you make on Form 1040-X under the column headings Correct amount and Correct number or amount are the entries you would have made on your original return had it been done correctly."

1040-X gives file error

In the spirit of friendly debate, I just have to ask a couple million dollar questions:

1) If what you're saying is true, why does Turbo print out the NEW 1040 with the packet you're supposed to mail to the IRS?

2) The IRS specifically says to include any revised forms or forms that were not included with the original tax return.  And if you follow their language verbatim, the NEW 1040 certainly falls into both those categories.

3) Also, I am wondering if posters can chime in with any real world experience with attaching the NEW 1040 and having the Amended Return rejected or delayed?

Finally, google search this topic.  And prepare to be as confused as I am.   🙂

@fanfare

1040-X gives file error

I have filed a few Form 1040-X before and recently (2020).

I never attached the new Form 1040.

The amendments went through with no issues.

1040-X gives file error

@GlitchHunter 

The verbatim instruction is

"Assemble any schedules and forms behind Form 1040-X in the
order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the
upper-right corner of the schedule or form."

Attachment Sequence Number is on all the forms and Schedules that come after 1040.

1040-X gives file error

Excellent! Thank you!  This is the type of real-world experience that matters!  So in my case, I will send in my 1040x with my revised Sched 1 and revised Sched 8812 attached.  Thanks again!

*PLEASE NOTE:  For purposes of accuracy, I ask that any posters who have conflicting advice refrain from muddying the waters unless they have REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.

Big thanks again to you!

@fanfare

KuanBABA
Returning Member

1040-X gives file error

had the same error. May I know how you resolve it finally?

1040-X gives file error

30 years in the tax business, taught income tax classes and I have never included the new 1040 with the 1040X and never had an issue.   The new 1040 is included for your review and understanding and if you do send it with the 1040X the IRS data entry people will simply ignore the unneeded form. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies