turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Re: How do I change the type of turbotax form from self-employed to retired? I no longer do extra w

If you no longer have need for a schedule C, indicate that you stopped the business in 2017 in the General Info section of your business. This will remove the schedule C and any related schedules/worksheets going forward.

If you had assets for depreciation (vehicles, equipment, etc), you will need to visit the Asset/Depreciation section of your business to 'dispose' of them and stop the depreciation.

If you have only the schedule C to remove, you can also delete the form from your list. Select Tax Tools, Tools, Delete a form. Scroll list for the schedule C to remove.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tags (1)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Re: How do I change the type of turbotax form from self-employed to retired? I no longer do extra w

"If you no longer have need for a schedule C, indicate that you stopped the business in 2017 in the General Info section of your business. This will remove the schedule C and any related schedules/worksheets going forward."

That statement is not all inclusive and can be misleading. When you indicate you stopped the business in 2017, it does not (and should not) remove the SCH C from your 2017 tax return. If you work through the SCH C and correctly show the disposition of all assets, inventory, vehicle use and anything else associated with the business (such as good will) then 2017 will be the last year you will file a SCH C for this specific business. If done completely and correctly, then next year when you start the 2018 tax return and indicate that you did not have a business in 2018, the SCH C stuff will not be imported from the 2017 taxes to the 2018 taxes.

If you indicate on the 2018 taxes that you did not have a business in 2018, and the 2017 SCH C information is imported anyway, that usually indicates that you did not completely report the disposition of the business in it's entirety on the 2017 return. Therefore the IRS considers your business to have been open in 2018.

Carl
Level 15

There is no such thing as a "retired" version of TurboTax.

If 2017 was the last year your business was open, then regardless of what else you may read here, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WHAT-SO-EVER do you delete the SCH C from your tax return. There are no exceptions. If your business closed, was sold or otherwise disposed of in 2017 then you are required to file a SCH C to show the disposition of your business. This is especially true if your business has depreciable assets, or carries an inventory, or claims any vehicle use for business.

At the start of the business section you select the option to indicate that you sold or otherwise disposed of the business in 2017, then continue working it through "AS IF" you still have the business.

When you get to the "Sale of Assets/Depreciation" section you must work through each individual asset one at a time to show it's disposition. Either you sold the asset, gave it away, removed it from the business for personal use, it was stolen, destroyed, or whatever.

If you claimed any vehicle expenses at any time in any year the business was open, then you must also work through the Vehicle Expenses section and show the disposition of the vehicle also.

If your business carried any inventory, then your End of Year Inventory balance *MUST* be zero. If it's not zero, then simply indicate that you removed all remaining inventory for personal use, and that will make your EOY Inventory Balance zero.

As far as the IRS is concerned, until you have completed all the above in it's entirety, you are still in business and they will be expecting a SCH C from you the next tax year also.

rgpenner

I retired and had no business-type activity in 2020. What type of form do I order from Turbo Tax?

rgpenner

I am not a new member

Are you using the Online version or the Desktop CD/Download program?

For Online,  You can try to downgrade but you have to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

You need to close the business properly.  Or if it transferred over there is a special way you have to delete it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-delete-a-prior-year-schedule-c-busine...

And see  this article on closing a business

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/closing-a-business/L3pbEl8of

I have the same question for retiring my business. I bought the deluxe version thinking I did not need to do any business forms since I had no business in 2021. I do have a year of depreciation left on my piano asset.  Do I need to upgrade to the home and business version to close out the business this year and then after this year use the deluxe?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If you have removed the piano from service because you had no income and were not conducting business in 2021, then you should track all of your business assets until you either dispose of them or sell them (original cost, date placed in service, total depreciation for the time it was used in business).  When any asset is sold it will be a taxable event on your tax return and the information will be needed at that time.

If your business is closed as of 1/1/2021, then you choose to do the following:

If you don't need all of the features of TurboTax Self Employed, you can downgrade from TurboTax Self Employed to another version of TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid yet (or registered in a free version) - but please bear in mind that you will need to clear any data which you have entered in Self Employed, and start over in the other TurboTax version.

Here is information that will allow you to clear and start over.  Keep in mind this will clear all of the data in your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you have the Desktop program you can use Deluxe,  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies