Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgpretzel
Returning Member

Difference between two TT files

How can I determine the difference between two TT files?

Two files show up when starting my new 2018 TT.  One has a "~" in front of the name and is dated 4/16/2017, and the other is dated 4/17/2017.  I'd like to make sure I import the one that I actually submitted online last year.  They have a very, very slight difference in size, so I must believe that they are not identical.  I do not recall which I used.  I might have come back the next day and printed out a  hard copy version, and also saved a pdf.  I probably didn't change anything, but, because the sizes are not identical, I'd like to know how the two finished tax return files differ.

How can I determine this?

Thank you.

DG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
Carl
Level 15

The one with the tilde ~ in front of it is a backup file. TurboTax creates a backup every 10 minutes or so, and precedes the filename with a tilde mark. So take the one "WITHOUT" the tilde mark preceding the filename.

dgpretzel
Returning Member

Thank you for the information.  It makes sense.  But, it also makes me wonder about past years.  For over 10 years I have been using TT.  In past years, it always finds only one previous TT file to use to initially prepopulate the current year's data.  Never a file with a tilde.  Just this year.

I do appreciate your response, and I am using your suggestion.  But, I do wonder.

DG

To add to the original question. The tilde "~" is shown in the files list of Windows File Explorer. However, what about two identical files once TT is open? Should the one with blue bar and word "Continue" be used? And the other one is a backup file?

Intuit should eliminate the confusion and clearly identify those two seemingly identical files that appear once TT is open.  

TT Capture.JPG

One of 

The blue continue button shows up on whichever return you click on.  So that doesn't mean anything.  Back in 2017 they started showing the ~ files in the list.  

The ~ is a tilde file. Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted. But Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes. Then you can go back. Just ignore them.

Do you see them in the box when you open your return? You can click the File Name heading to sort by name (then click it again to toggle it) then at least all the ~ files will be sorted together at the bottom

Actually, I was wrong. The blue bar appears on either of those two files once I highlight any of them with mouse. Not sure what File Name heading you are referring to. If of those files, the names are identical, which is the reason for the issue. 

Identification of the files in File Explorer isn't an issue once one knows meaning and purpose of symbol "~". 

About File Name heading. Sounds like you meant in the File Explorer, not in the TT itself. Am I correct? 

Both places.  Of course in the Windows file directory listing but also when you start a new return and it gives you a box listing the files to transfer from.  You can sort that list so the ~ files are at the bottom.

Transfer Tilde.jpg

Sorry, you didn't clarify how one gets to Browse command in TT.  For example, TT Premium. 

I actually discovered answer to my original question. I saw those two identically named files at start of the program because they were located at different hard drives of mine - one at my main HD and the other at my secondary HD,  which I use for backing up my important files. I was confused as the files had identical names.  So, it seems like TT keeps track of, and presents at its startup, file copies saved at different locations/folders, even if it is the same file.   

eaa242
Returning Member

I have three TTax  files  that ALL have the Tilde (~)  in front . My latest saved file has the tilde tilde  too.  No saved file is without the Tilde . .   I had made a few edits in TTax and saved the file , but when I came back to the program the edits were not there .This is very confusing  !!

The ~ is a tilde file.   Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted.  But now Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like your computer crashes.  Then you can go back. 

Maybe you actually named and saved your return with the ~ ?

Your tax return file ends in .tax2018, .tax2019, .tax2020 etc.  Search your computer for it.  Check the Recycle Bin or Trash.  Check in One Drive, etc.  it should be in your Documents then in the Turbo Tax folder.  Check your backups.

Try saving again with a new name and pay attention to where it's saving it or you can select the location to save it.   Go up to File - Save As.  

And do all the files show up in the box to open?   Go up to File - Open.  What files show up?

eaa242
Returning Member

Somehow I loaded the the temp fie , and it got got saved with tilde . I renamed the most recent  tilde file ( date/time size) by taking the (~ ) off.  The file loads & things work. It will also save without the tilde .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies