Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

utsyco

credit score dropped after paying down debt?

So I paid 0ver 10K towards my new wifes' debt from a previous marriage. She was at 96% utilization and now she is at 42%. Somehow her score went from a 630 to a 599? It was only credit cards paid and not a car loan etc. I did this to help her out and more importantly help increase her credit but it has backfired. Starting to think that 10K would have been spent on paying off something else if this was the result. Any ideas why it would have lowered her credit score?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

did you close the credit cards because if you did then that will be the reason why it went down
utsyco

No. I only paid off approximately 8 credit cards with the highest interest to bring her utilization down to 40%. She still has one card at 95% utilization but it is at 8% interest. But, we did not close any of the cards at all...only paid them off and her credit fell 30 points.

She has one card with a 12k limit that has 10k debt at 8% interest, and 10 other cards that were previously maxed out but now with 10k open credit with 0 balances. I'm not sure how it happened. 

lwdupont
Intuit Alumni

I’ve work on the iOS Turbo app for almost two years now, and I’m not sure about your situation. My only thought is I wonder if the credit companies are waiting to see if more debt is put back onto some of them (given they were maxed out).

It does seem odd though. Maybe give one of them a call? Turbo uses Transunion, so you could start there.

Let us know what you find out here?

Lucien

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies