turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Krey78321

Mailing

So I had no idea that I had to print it out and mail it. I thought it was all set. Nobody's fault but mine but Is there any way I can still mail it and get my tax returns? Am I going to have to file for an extension? If there's any help it would be greatly appreciated
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Mailing

I just did my TurboTax and I decided to mail it so I’m confused .. Do I have to print it out or does it get mailed to me ? And how long does it usually take if it is getting mailed to me ? And if it has to be printed , where do I have to take it to get the money ? 

Mailing

If you decided to print and mail the tax return then you should have followed the instructions in this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Only you can print, sign, date and mail the federal tax return to the IRS.  What to include with the tax return and where to mail the tax return is shown on the Filing Instructions page when you print the tax return.

Mailing

If YOU  are mailing in the return then YOU must print, ink sign and put it in the mail.  When you save the PDF of the return to be filed the mailing/filing instruction page also prints out ... read and follow those instructions.

If you change your mind and want to efile you have until 10/15/19 to do so.

“Ready to mail”  or "printed" means that your tax return has not been filed.  Either you could not e-file for some reason , or you chose to file by mail.  OR if you really did already mail your return, the software does not have any way to know that you put your return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox, so it will always say “ready to mail” in your online account.

TurboTax does not mail your return for you.  You have to print it, sign it, and mail it yourself.  When you mail a tax return, you need to sign it where it says "Sign Here" and write in the date you signed it by the word "Date".  Attach copies of your W-2 and any other documents that show taxes withheld to the left side of the papers where it says "Attach Forms..."

When you print your return, it will print with filing instructions that tell you where to mail it.  Pay careful attention to the address you mail your return to —federal and state returns do not get mailed to the same place.

It is not required, but is a good idea, to use a mailing service that will track your return or provide you with a receipt showing that the IRS got it--such as Fedex, UPS, or certified mail.  It will take about 4 weeks and then you can track the status of your return at the IRS website.

You can print your return by following the instructions below

1 Select the My Account drop down in the upper right and choose Print Center.

2 Under the Choose your option section, select which forms you want to print.

3 Click Print save or preview this year’s return.

4 Click Print.

5 Mail to the address specified in your return

Tip: You must be inside your return when you click on My Account 

To send your tax return by mail and get a receipt to see that the IRS and/or your state received it:

https://www.usps.com/taxes/welcome.htm

To track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433

On the IRS site you are also offered the use of an app called IRS2Go

To change to e-filing:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3399683-how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online?jum...

mail return 3.PNGmail return 2018 4.PNGprint center downloaded.PNG

Mailing

You could not e-file?  Turbotax does not mail it for you. You print it, sign it in ink along with entering the date, and mail it yourself. Choose to print your return to mail in the FILE section. It will print out with instructions and the address to mail it to and the forms and schedules you need to mail .    Before you can print your fees have to be paid. 

When you mail a tax return attach any W-2’s or 1099’s that show tax withheld. Use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you know it was received. 

Look carefully at Form 1040. Your signature goes in the middle of the page where it says “Sign Here”.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies