turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing refund

I’m still at a complete loss that a company I knew nothing about Santa Barbara tax professionals is still holding my refund with no communication availability other than emails and lies from this company telling me over and over again for the last three weeks that they have mailed my check I’m so disappointed in TurboTax and the company that they entrusted my refund to and nobody can seem to help I’m without my whole tax refund and who knows if I’ll never get it but of course turbo and this Santa Barbra tax pro had received their fees and still won’t release my refund they have had since 2/26/2033 it’s now 3/13/2022 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Missing refund

@Serverlife36 

I’m dealing with the same thing. They have had it since 2/24. They keep claiming it was sent on different dates and I’ve requested proof but they say they don’t have any. Every person I talk to gives me a different story. At this point turbo tax should be stepping in and assisting because our money is with SBPTG because we entrusted turbo tax who has just failed so many people. They will surely lose a lot of business next year. 

Missing refund

Exactly at this point I’m at a complete loss I’ve done everything I can and took it as far as I can with turbo and the only explanation or reassurance they can offer me at this point is that they are mailing me a check to reimburse me for the fees that were taking out of my refund that I still have yet to receive I have no idea if I will even receive my refund of over $7000 that is being held by a company I know nothing about and has completely stopped all communication with me even via email I have proof in an email from TPG stating they sent my refund by mail  then an email the very next day stating they have yet to even print a check.

Missing refund

It seems to me that you people have been scammed.  Correct me if I have a wrong idea of what went on.

I'm guessing you used a tax preparer to do your taxes.  They, in turn, used TurboTax Online to complete the tax filing.  TurboTax gets their money from the refund.  Of course, the preparer had any refund come through their business so they could collect their fee, and reimburse TurboTax for the filing before sending the remainder to you.  TurboTax is not the culprit here... they fulfilled their obligation when the return was filed.  The real culprit is undoubtedly the preparer.  The preparer made sure TurboTax got paid but planned all along to keep the refund.  Then it was simply a matter of putting you off until they could abscond with a lot of people's "refunds.  The refunds were to go through their "business", right?  I think there is a good chance they also made some fictitious claims on your returns to boost the refund.  Don't be surprised if the IRS comes back at you for those "errors".  Keep in mind that this is all conjecture on my part, but not beyond possibility.

Now for the recommendation:

I suggest you start with the Better Business Bureau to see what they have for that preparer.  You should also "follow the money" to find out where they cashed the refunds.  Definitely ask the IRS if they can help trace where the money is.  Also, seek local, state, and federal law enforcement to see what assistance they can offer.  I'm confident that TurboTax acted appropriately and even went one up by refunding their fee. to you.  However, they may be able to help gather information on the preparer.

Most of all, remain calm when dealing with this problem.  Naturally, you'll want your wheels to squeak a little to get attention.  I think you'll find most people will want to be helpful if you can remain civil.  I hope this helps you in you8r efforts to get this resolved. Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies