Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Your tax refund has been approved for direct deposit. However, it may be partially or completely reduced to pay a past due obligation, such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state inco

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

56 Replies
DeanM15
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Your tax refund has been approved for direct deposit. However, it may be partially or completely reduced to pay a past due obligation, such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state inco

The IRS will retain your refund if you owe for back taxes. The Treasury also has an offset program for other payments due like unpaid child support and unpaid student loans among other debts.

You can read more about the Treasury Offset program here and the IRS  program here. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kiyyah17

Does everyone get this message?

So how long will it take then for them to take it out from my refund for me to receive it?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Generally it can take up to 12 weeks for the refund to be taken, applied to the past due obligation and the remaining refund sent to you. If you would like to know where in the process they are, you can contact the Treasury Offset office, and they will be able to let you know more: https://fiscal.treasury.gov/top/faqs-for-the-public.html

Ambillger

I hope so because mine says that too but when I call the number it says I have no offsets

Oh I kno samething happen to me I heard that the number that says that isn’t a updated automatic system so who knows ... but I did call the irs and asked if there would be a long wait time for my refund to be released due to an offset? She said no that meaaage is basically saying our refund was approved but dnt expect the amount you were giving because there will be a deduction , she claims tho I should be getting by the 26th if not a few days later cause I did file January 30th everyone else that filed January 27Th with get it the 26th of February 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Did you receive a notice that the IRS has an offset against your account?

You can contact Department of Treasury’s Financial Management Service at 1-800-304-3107 to see whether there is an offset against your account.

No I haven’t , how long does it take to get that letter ?

In the same situation..I know I owe a balance for an unemployment  offset, but I called and there is no record for my social security number...wheres my refund says I was approved for direct deposit, however my refund might be reduced and that I should receive the money by march 2nd

Mine says the exact same... Also for my mother.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Pris T  You should be receiving a letter from the IRS in a few explaining the difference. 

Please also see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

I don’t think it will come March 2nd everyone that’s expecting a refund FEB26th will get it FEB26th march2nd is just IF FOR ANY REASON AND there’s A DELAY MARCH 2Nd is the latest and if it’s not in there EVEN ON MARCH2nd check back or call them to see what’s going on. I personally feel like we are anxious and want to know cause everyone else that got a date that they should be getting their refund, we got a message saying there will be a deduction and we didn’t get a date .... but I think I’m positive if you filed January 26...27th u will most certainly get it with everyone else that filed that date too FEB26th check ur banks tomorrow as well as I will and let me know.  I was told by the lady from the Irs that I will get it on the 26th but who knows I felt like she was trying to get me off the phone at that point lol . Good luck everyone and I hope u guys all get ur money FAST! Cause it is YOUR MONEY!!!! 🙂

It’s a bit early but has anyone checked their banks yet ? 
nothing here 

I'm definitely stalking lol nothing here!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies