Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Same income reported by two states

I live in MA and work in RI. My w2 shows the same income reported for both states. All income is from an RI source. The w2 makes it appear as if I have MA income as well. My RI return is fine, but it says I cannot efile for MA. Is there a way around this so I can efile? Did I fill something out wrong?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

50 Replies
Fern

You need to enter your W-2 just as it is written. If your W-2 does not show a line for taxes withheld from MA then the MA information should not be entered in your W-2 in Turbo Tax.  If you have had income taxes withheld for both states then you will enter two state lines for the W-2.

My w2 was imported with both states listed individually and I did pay MA taxes on my RI income. The problem is with the MA return. It tries to transfer the amount for both states which would be double my income. I didn't have any income from an MA source, but it is reporting as such on the w2. If I leave the amount as is it says I owe on income I didn't have. If it only pulls over the amount listed as MA, it says I can't efile. Is TurboTax correct, do I need a corrected w2 or did I do a step wrong?
elias-n1214
Returning Member

Any luck answering this? I have the same problem. Automatic import so i can't decide what to randomly include and not include (which is kind of a workaround that shouldn't be necessary anyway). Is the W-2 wrong? Trying to find out what the W2 SHOULD look like in a case like that but no luck so far.

Also having this issue...anyone?
elias-n1214
Returning Member

Seriously how does this not have an answer?

I agree. I had to dig through several random sites to get information and test it through H&R block as well to make sure it was accurate. You should have received two w-2s. This is accurate and will import correctly for the federal portion. It should show your total income and the taxes withheld for both states. For MA or your state, you may need to adjust the amount if your income is doubled. I had to do this and it triggered the response from Turbotax that I could not efile. That doesn't sound accurate, but I didn't want to waste money paying TT to prepare & print my return only to have it rejected upon efiling. I copied everything over to paper and mailed the return.

Still a problem Turbotax!
fabian

This is a problem again this year. What is the correct solution here?

I am also looking for an answer for this issue.
tduffy66

Looking for an answer on this as well. I actually got audited by Massachusetts because I corrected the information through turbo tax.
elias-n1214
Returning Member

tduffy66 was it a big deal? or did they just see what happened at went "oh ok". They must be getting tons of that! you cant be the first one.
tduffy66

They said I owed over $4000, I appealed it but still owe $1600 or so. I still don't think its correct but I am going to have an accountant look it over when they send me the amendment. I shouldn't owe anything as I pay extra towards state every paycheck. Someone from work also got audited who is in the same situation, works in RI and lives in MA.

2-16-19 - I still have this question.  It uploads the w2 direct to state taxes, so it says I had xxx amount income for RI and the same xxx income for MA.  NO!  I had only income in RI.  So how do I stop TT from importing from my Federal?  I am surprised that there is not an answer in two years.  
TURBO TAX...ANYONE READ THESE COMMENTS?   

Same here for two years. Turbo Tax keep getting worst every year.TRY THIS. see if you can open a form called "Total Wages Worksheet". There you can exclude duplicate state income. However I then get an error and can't e-file where NY is mandatory.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies