turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

laurel663

Can i claim my grandmother as a dependent

If my grandmother get retirement pay of less than 2,000 a month can I claim her as a dependent? Will it affect her retirement pay? She lives with me and I pay all the bills.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

You may be able to claim your grandmother as a Qualifying Relative dependent if:

• You provided more than half of her support in 2016
  • She earned less than $4,050 in gross taxable income. (Social Security income generally doesn’t count here.)
  •  She lives with you 365 days in the year or is related to you. 32
  •  She isn’t a dependent on someone else’s tax return.
  • She isn’t filing a tax return with a spouse (married filing jointly).
  • She  is a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident

You can’t claim a dependent if you are a dependent on someone else’s taxes

See Rules For Claiming Dependents

Your claiming her as your dependent may affect Supplemental Security Income (SSI) , but not Social Security income.

Question can grandmother file income tax on grand daughter which parents has been claiming daughter income take just. Because grandmother wants get bigger refund 

Short answer is no...if the child is a qualifying child of both the parents &  grandparents then the parents have the superior right to claim said child ...however they can allow the grandparents to claim the child but ONLY if the grandparents have a higher income.  

I'm trying to take me off my grandma taxes and I dont stay with her at all and I didn't no she claim me 

@MEGGIE09    Your post is confusing.  Who claimed who?  Did you claim Grandma as your dependent or did Grandma claim you?  Please clarify that before we try to help.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies