Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to delete my Credit for AMT Paid in Prior Year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

You can revisit the topic and delete the fields that you have entered. 

Or you can remove the form 8801 from your return. To remove the form, follow these instructions:

1. Open your return in TurboTax. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and select Take me to my return.)
  2. In the left-side menu, select Tax Tools Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to Form 8801 in the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

I have the same need to edit or delete the credit for AMT I paid in a previous year.  The amount that TurboTax automatically pulls into my 2021 return is wrong but it doesn't give me an option to edit or delete it. The instructions posted in 2019 to remove the form 8801 no longer seem to be accurate.  How can I edit or delete this credit, and just as important, how can I make sure that the inaccurate amount doesn't keep getting fed forward into future years' returns?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

The procedure above was for TurboTax Online.  It’s different for TurboTax Desktop.  Please see the TurboTax Help article How do I delete a tax form in the TurboTax CD/Download software? for guidance.

If you’re actually in TurboTax Online, see this slightly revised procedure: 

1. If you’re on the Hi, let's keep working on your taxes! screen that displays the categories Personal Info, Income & Expenses, and others in the center of the screen, and none of those categories are open, click the dropdown next to any of the categories, then select the Review/Edit or Pick up where you left off button.  If one of the categories is already open and has a Continue button, select the button

2. Next, in the pane on the left side of your screen, you should see Tax Tools.  Select the dropdown to the right of Tax Tools

3. Then, under that, select Tools

4. In the Tool Center pop-up, select Delete a form.

5. Select Delete next to Form 8801 in the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

You’ll probably need to use this process for future returns.  Simply deleting the form may not prevent the data from being generated later.

@Margateclosed

I appreciate the quick reply, @JohnW152 .  I am using the Online version of TurboTax.  I followed your instructions but TurboTax does not seem to want to delete form 8801.  I tell it to delete the form and it says that it did, but the form is still there and I'm still getting a credit for prior-year AMT in my return that I cannot edit or remove.

manyyear
Returning Member

I'm using desktop and have the same problem. Tried a few things  to get help  but didn't have the problem fixed. I think maybe there is something wrong with the software. It really needs to be paid attention to.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Margateclosed @manyyear

The form will continue to populate if you've answered a question that warrants the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).  You will need to revisit the AMT interview to review or change your answers to the questions.  Follow the steps below:

1. Login to TurboTax and Continue your return
  2. Select Federal from the left menu
  3. From the top menu, select Other Tax Situations
  4. Scroll to the Alternative Minimum Tax section and select Show more
  5. Click the Revisit button
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
manyyear
Returning Member

It's used to be like that but this year is not the same. After I import my income it automatically generated the form ,no questions to answer. No revisit button for the interview mode just a update button.  After I click it just show how much amt credit carryover I got and back and done button at the lower left and right corner. Nowhere to review questions or make any changes. I used turbo tax for many years  and knew how the form be populated. But this year is totally different. That is why I think there is some mistake.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the post above provided by @JohnW152.  If this does not work for you, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

@manyyear

manyyear
Returning Member

I followed all the directions in the Help Article and called the phone number. The robot asked me a lot of questions and then I was put on hold for so long but no one answered. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

I'm sorry for your experience.  At this point, if you have exhausted everything here, the best way to get assistance and have someone take a closer look at your account is to reach out to us directly.  

@manyyear

[edited 3/18/22 9:45 AM CDT]

After working with multiple levels of TurboTax tech support, we came to the unpleasant conclusion that there is no way to delete the credit for AMT paid in the prior year and the only solution to the situation is to start anew.  That means with a new, different, TurboTax account so none of the history from prior years' returns are imported. It took more work to file taxes this year, of course, but this approach solved the problem.  (Tip: when creating a new TurboTax account, you can't use the same mobile phone number that you used with the first account.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies