turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jca310ms

If I am getting married before April 15, can I mark married on my W4?

I will be getting married before April 15 (2017), and I am currently (2016) changing jobs. Can I fill out the W4 as if I were already married?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No.  Your tax filing status is based on your marital status as of 12/31 of the tax year, so if you are single as of 12/31/2016, you will file your 2016 tax return as single, and if you change your withholding now, you will very probably be under withheld and owe tax.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rainydaze

Your tax status is based on your marriage status on December 31, not April 15 of the following year.

No.  Your tax filing status is based on your marital status as of 12/31 of the tax year, so if you are single as of 12/31/2016, you will file your 2016 tax return as single, and if you change your withholding now, you will very probably be under withheld and owe tax.
jca310ms

Thank you for you answer. I did not know about the end of the year deadline.

Personal tax returns are done on a calendar year basis.

In fact, even after you are married, if both spouses work, you might be better off by not claiming married which will result in less tax withheld.    Often when two incomes are added together and the withholding has been at married rates, the combined income results in a higher tax.  Since each employer withholds as if theirs is the only income couples that both work often find that they are under withheld by claiming married.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I agree with Mac.  I have seen a lot of couple that get married, change their W-4s, and wonder why they owe so much money when they file their taxes.  As Mac says, if both spouses work, I recommend keeping it at "Single".

You can fill out your W-4 anyway you like.  However, if it is filled out incorrectly (married vs. single), you may owe significantly more tax - and in a worst case scenario - an underpayment penalty, for doing so.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies