turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a shared custody arrangement with my oldest daughter. She is with us every other weekend. How long should I say she "lived with me"? 12 months? 3?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a shared custody arrangement with my oldest daughter. She is with us every other weekend. How long should I say she "lived with me"? 12 months? 3?

Or do this:

2 nights every other week equals 52 nights per year.

52/365 = .14.25%

.1425 x12 = 1.71 mos.

You are not her custodial parent, since you had her less then 50% of the time.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

WITH your daughter, or FOR your daughter?

I assumed the arrangement was with the other parent for the oldest daughter.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Count up how many actual nights she stayed with you.

Divide the number of nights she stayed with you by 30. That is approximately how many months she lived with you.

Or do this:

2 nights every other week equals 52 nights per year.

52/365 = .14.25%

.1425 x12 = 1.71 mos.

You are not her custodial parent, since you had her less then 50% of the time.

This will give the correct answer in turbotax.  Because you don't have custody more than half the nights of the year, you can't claim her as a dependent unless you get a signed release.  By figuring your custody in this manner (4 nights per month= about 2 months) turbotax will give you the correct options in the interview.
TomD8
Level 15

"You are not her custodial parent"...and therefore you cannot claim her as a dependent on your tax return (unless the custodial parent releases to you his/her right to claim her, or it's spelled out in a pre-2009 divorce agreement).

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies