Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lamccurdy

My employer paid .30 cents per mile. How/ Where do I enter the difference between the .30 paid and standard .54 per mile?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DS30

My employer paid .30 cents per mile. How/ Where do I enter the difference between the .30 paid and standard .54 per mile?

Yes you will be able to claim the difference between what you employer reimbursed you per mile and the allowable IRS mileage rate of 54 cents/mile for the 2016 calendar year.

If you have any deductible business mileages as an employee, you can report your business miles as an employee under job-related expenses. In order to claim business miles as an employee, you will need to itemize your deductions. NOTE: Job-related expenses are not fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule. If your standard deduction is greater than your combined itemized deductions, then TurboTax is recommend the standard deduction.

You would enter your unreimbursed employment expenses in TurboTax (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here) under Federal Taxes>Deductions and Credits> I'll choose what I work on (or jump to full list)> scroll down to Employment Expenses> Job-related expenses (start/update). Use the TurboTax guide to help you enter these expense.

• Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2015 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Job-Related Expenses" you can put this information here. List as "additional unreimbursed business miles"

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

lamccurdy

So, I do not need to enter any mileage info under Federal Taxes> I'll enter the total miles I drove for the year ?
DS30

No because you are only claiming the difference and not the full amount of the mileage.
lamccurdy

Thank you! So, will I be able to also write off my toll tags, gasoline, etc since I am not doing the full mileage reimbursement?
DS30

You can include toll tags but not gasoline or maintenance (since the IRS standard rate includes these expenses and you are claiming the difference).
lamccurdy

Can I do this under the "Plus" version or must I purchase "Turbo Tax Deluxe" version?   Thanks so much for your help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies