turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gesaretto

How do I report my scholarship and the federal withholdings already applied to it, having received a 1042-S and a 1098-T that do not match?

I am a graduate student on an F1 visa; this is my first year filing as a resident alien (entered the country in Aug. 2013 as a J1 student).

For 2018 I have received a W-2, a 1042-S (code 16), and a 1098-T. The 1042-S and the 1098-T are supposed to report my scholarship; but they show different amounts (the 1042-S shows the entirety of the scholarship I have received; the 1098-T shows only a part). Moreover, the 1042-S shows that a good amount of money was withheld from my scholarship for federal taxes.

Here is what I have done:

1) I have entered my 1098-T just as I have gotten it;

2) I have entered the difference between the amount reported on the 1098-T and the one reported on the 1042-S in the "Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships" box of the "Did You Receive a Scholarship or Grant in 2018?" section;

3) I entered the amount that was withheld from my scholarship, as reported on my 1042-S, in the "Federal Withholdings" box of the "Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018."

The Federal Refund I am getting is quite substantial, but am I following the right procedure?

Thanks. G.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

How do I report my scholarship and the federal withholdings already applied to it, having received a 1042-S and a 1098-T that do not match?

Yes, you followed the steps correctly and TurboTax will make the calculations. 

Make sure you answered ALL the interview questions carefully (as there are quite a few) in the Education Section.

If you received the Lifetime Learning Credit, (Schedule 3 line 50) you (or your spouse) could not have been a "nonresident alien for any part of 2018 and the nonresident alien didn't elect to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. More information on nonresident aliens can be found in Pub. 519."

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6845853.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you followed the steps correctly and TurboTax will make the calculations. 

Make sure you answered ALL the interview questions carefully (as there are quite a few) in the Education Section.

If you received the Lifetime Learning Credit, (Schedule 3 line 50) you (or your spouse) could not have been a "nonresident alien for any part of 2018 and the nonresident alien didn't elect to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. More information on nonresident aliens can be found in Pub. 519."

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6845853.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies