Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started my business in 2015 and was only able to claim $5000.00 of the startup costs then. I was told by my accountant that I would be able to claim some of the balance this year. Is this so and how do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I started my business in 2015 and was only able to claim $5000.00 of the startup costs then. I was told by my accountant that I would be able to claim some of the balance this year. Is this so and how do I do it?

Yes, you can amortize the remainder of your start-up costs over a period of 180 months (15 years).

You will be able to add these costs in  Business Assets in the Business section of your return. See the Screenshot.

• Continue through the screens,as if you purchased an asset. On the screen Describe This Asset select Intangibles, Other property
  • In Tell Us a Little More check Amortizable intangibles
  • In Tell Us About This Asset / Large Purchase enter a description (start-up costs) and the amount and the date placed in service (the day you started your business).
  • In the next screen, say that you purchased the asset new, and you've always used it for business.
  • In Select a Code Section, enter 195 for Start-Up Costs. Select 15 years as the useful life and half year convention.

See this answer:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5146525

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can amortize the remainder of your start-up costs over a period of 180 months (15 years).

You will be able to add these costs in  Business Assets in the Business section of your return. See the Screenshot.

• Continue through the screens,as if you purchased an asset. On the screen Describe This Asset select Intangibles, Other property
  • In Tell Us a Little More check Amortizable intangibles
  • In Tell Us About This Asset / Large Purchase enter a description (start-up costs) and the amount and the date placed in service (the day you started your business).
  • In the next screen, say that you purchased the asset new, and you've always used it for business.
  • In Select a Code Section, enter 195 for Start-Up Costs. Select 15 years as the useful life and half year convention.

See this answer:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5146525

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies