Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fs09

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent. Do i still file my own taxes even though he already claimed me?

My boyfriend supported both my daughter and I for more then half the year. he claimed both of us as dependents. Do i still file my own tax returns even though he claimed me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent. Do i still file my own taxes even though he already claimed me?

Yes. If someone is claiming you as a dependent, you might need to do your own taxes. If you find yourself saying, “Yes, that’s me,” to anything below, the IRS requires that you file a tax return of your own.

• You earned more than $6,300. 
  • You have more than $1,050 of unearned income. Unearned income is money that you get without working like interest and dividends.
  • Your gross income was more than the larger of (a) $1,050 or (b) your earned income (up to $5,950) plus $350.
  • You had net earnings of at least $400 from your business or self-employment.
  • You had tax taken out of your paychecks and you want it back.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes. If someone is claiming you as a dependent, you might need to do your own taxes. If you find yourself saying, “Yes, that’s me,” to anything below, the IRS requires that you file a tax return of your own.

• You earned more than $6,300. 
  • You have more than $1,050 of unearned income. Unearned income is money that you get without working like interest and dividends.
  • Your gross income was more than the larger of (a) $1,050 or (b) your earned income (up to $5,950) plus $350.
  • You had net earnings of at least $400 from your business or self-employment.
  • You had tax taken out of your paychecks and you want it back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies