turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can you increase the tax withholding on your paycheck at the end of the year to catch up to cover 100% of last year tax to avoid the underpayment penalty?

I understand that if you pay 100% of last year tax through tax withholding, you don't owe an underpayment penalty if you did not pay enough tax.

Are there any exceptions?

I read Pub 505 Chap. 4 Underpayment Penalty (https://www.irs.gov/publications/p505/ch04.html) and I am wondering if you have to pay the tax withholding equally throughout the year for this rule to work?

I am asking because they mention that the Penalty is figured separately for each period.

It's hard to have a clear view at the beginning of the year and I am wondering if I can increase my tax withholding on my paychecks at the end of the year to make sure I cover 100% of last year tax when I have a better idea of my situation?

My wife is a contractor for a couple months at the beginning of the year but then will be an employee with tax withholding starting in the middle of the year so I am trying to see if I can just avoid paying the estimated payments for the 1st and 2nd quarter and catch up with tax withholding on the second half of the year.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can you increase the tax withholding on your paycheck at the end of the year to catch up to cover 100% of last year tax to avoid the underpayment penalty?

It's a "pay as you earn" system which is why self-employed contractors pay estimated tax payments quarterly.  I wouldn't wait until the end of the year as not enough may be withheld.  The easiest thing to do is to adjust your tax withholding to cover 100% of the prior year's taxes due as soon as you file your tax returns for each prior year.

Yes but if I know I can increase withholding enough later during the year, is that ok or the withholding has to be consistent throughout the year to avoid the penalty? Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies