Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moyboy622

I'm about to file my long forgotten quarterly taxes for 2003. Do I need to send $50 late fee?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I'm about to file my long forgotten quarterly taxes for 2003. Do I need to send $50 late fee?

What ?   It is too late to send in estimated payments for any tax year except the 2016. If you owe back taxes you do not need to send any fees or penalties ... the IRS will bill you later. 

Did you file a 2003 return?  What "quarterly taxes" are you taking about?

Employer taxes?  I can't imagine how the IRS would not have discovered that if you missed it (assuming you filed a W2/W3).
moyboy622

This is vendor sales tax actually form ST-100 not income.

Year 2003 ?  Let sleeping dogs lie!

I agree ... unless you are getting notices on this I doubt the state even has records back that far.

In any case, that is not something the people here are usually knowledgable about.  I tried to look up the statute of limitations for NY sales tax and can't find anything one way or the other.

If you want to make good on the taxes, I would not send anything extra.  The state will likely bill you for late fees and penalties separately.

If the amount is substantial, I would have an accountant or attorney contact the state on your behalf, before you pay, and try and pre-negotiate a reduced penalty and interest since you are voluntarily catching up.

And I certainly would not make any catch-up payments if you owe more outstanding payments, they might take a close look to see if you are behind on anything else.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies