Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Work Study

My 2 children are in college and have work study jobs. Is this considered income and once they reach making a certain amount of income should they start filing taxes?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Work Study

Hi @Noelle2022 ! Happy to assist.


Yes, this income would be taxable.  If they work less than 20 hours per week, then FICA (Medicare and Social Social Security) will not be withheld.  They should be issued a W-2 to report this income.  There are certain levels of income at which people are required to file.  Here is a great resource which shows the different levels of income and when you need to file: Filing Thresholds 


As you can see from the link, if your child is single and made more than $12,550 in 2021 then he or she would need to file.  Those numbers will most likely change slightly in 2022.  Even if they make less than $12,550, they may want to still file to get back some of the federal and state tax withholdings.


I hope that helps and please reach out if you need further clarification!



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies