Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drandyl

With a possible change in 2020 tax liability for unemplyment income will turbotax update to reflect this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

With a possible change in 2020 tax liability for unemplyment income will turbotax update to reflect this?

Nothing has passed Congress so there has been no changes to the tax code.

The legislation only would affect a federal tax return.  The various states that tax unemployment compensation would have to make changes to their own tax codes and only if they so desire.

TurboTax nor any other tax preparation software company can do anything until After the IRS has written the rules and regulations after passage of legislation which changes the tax code.

Okay 03-12-21 It's law now.  What is the plan?  Will there be an update on Turbo Tax? I'm hoping it reduces what I owe.  I already had tax taken out but still owe on Federal

@kmpiscitelli wrote:

Okay 03-12-21 It's law now.  What is the plan?  Will there be an update on Turbo Tax? I'm hoping it reduces what I owe.  I already had tax taken out but still owe on Federal

After the legislation has passed Congress and after the President has signed the legislation and after the IRS has written the rules, regulations and procedures.  And after the IRS has changed any forms or schedules to accept the tax code changes.  And after the IRS has approved the changes in the TurboTax program that apply to the tax code changes, then it will be available for the users of the tax preparation software.

This can take anywhere from several weeks to several months before it becomes available.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for information on the American Rescue Plan - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

Update just landed for me at 1:07am CDT for Mac desktop Home & Business, updated to v2020.r23.046. Now incorporating the $10,200 unemployment exemption on Schedule 1, Form 1040. Enjoy!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies