Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wisconsin Retired Military Form SB

I get the alert, "Schedule SB: Sub-Military retirement subtraction cannot be more than the amount of the such retirement payments that you included in your federal income." The retirement subtraction is the same as it is on my federal return, but the program will not let me file. If I fill out form SB, it doesn't matter, I still can't correct the issue. How can I correct the problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The form should be comparing line 5b on form 1040 to the amount of subtraction you are entering in the WI interview.  I'd like to take a closer look at your experience. 

If you would like to send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information it would help.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

TurboTax Online:

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and your state. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

TurboTax CD/Download:

If you like, you can send a copy of your return that will be scrubbed to eliminate your personal data by using these steps:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number and state then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return. This is necessary for us to view the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

Please @DMarkM1 so that will be notified. 

@Stllwtrs 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I was not able to recreate the experience. First, verify the amount you are excluding is the box 2a (taxable amount) on your 1099R as entered in TurboTax.  While in the 1099R form topic I recommend deleting and manually re-entering the box 2 amount to be sure there are no extra characters.  

Once all is correct there, continue to the end of the 1099R interview.  Re-try the review/file. 

If the error persists, then you can try reducing the amount of Military Retirement in the WI interview (Retirement Benefits Adjustment) in the "Income" section by $1. You can instead make the $1 adjustment in "Forms Mode" for desktop products on the WI Schedule SB, line 12 if you wish. 

Thank you for the reply. I tried all your recommendations and still receive the alert, "Schedule SB: Sub-Military retirement subtraction cannot be more than the amount of the such retirement payments that you included in your federal income." I did not itemize my my taxes, if that makes a difference. Where does the State Return pull the retired military 1099R information from on the Federal Return?

The turbotax software will not allow me to move past that step and file.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The form should be comparing line 5b on form 1040 to the amount of subtraction you are entering in the WI interview.  I'd like to take a closer look at your experience. 

If you would like to send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information it would help.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

TurboTax Online:

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number and your state. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

TurboTax CD/Download:

If you like, you can send a copy of your return that will be scrubbed to eliminate your personal data by using these steps:

1. Click on Online in the top left menu of TurboTax CD/Download for Windows
  2. Select 'Send Tax File to Agent'
  3. Write down or send an image of your token number and state then place in this issue.
  4. We can then review your exact scenario for a solution.
  5. Please also tell us any states included in the return. This is necessary for us to view the return.

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

Please @DMarkM1 so that will be notified. 

@Stllwtrs 

@DMarkM1 

Thank you very much. I went to block 5b and saw that the Military Retirement was filed as an IRA in 4b, not a pension. I do not know why.  I re-entered the input from the 1099R and deleted the old input. The system corrected itself, 5B reflected my retirement pay and not 4b. I am able to file. I do not know why, there is not a block that would indicate a pension versus an IRA, they all seem lumped together. 

Happiness...

In any case it is fixed. Let me know if you would still like the download.

Cheers,

Tom

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes.  In the 1099R form entry there a box just after box 7 that is checked for IRAs to put the amount on line 4 vice line 5.  Glad you found it.  No need for a tax file.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies