Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will my refund still be approve if I forgot one my w2 and one of my husband's w2?

Mgurley86 did u ever get approved
mgurley86

Will my refund still be approve if I forgot one my w2 and one of my husband's w2?

Yes it just did Saturday for a DD of 3/21.. it's finally over. I got a TA, she helped push it through. It's been the longest tax season of my life. Thanks for your advice and help bro
mgurley86

Also advise anyone finding this situation on Google next year to get a Tax Advocate as SOON as your 21 days are up and you have no WMR update. IRS keeps resequencing you until their Errors department finally gets around to review it. There are Taxpayers still waiting with no answers from IRS Reps. Good luck all

i did my taxes already but i forgot a w2 will i still get my first refund and after i get it i will have to amend for my second w2 i dont owe anything dont know what to do i hope everything ok
ashking19

I also forgot a W2 and this seems to be the worst tax season yet! I went from processing to your refund is being delayed and now I’m worried they are holding it. I was hoping everything would still go through and I could just amend it. Johnamy8323 I see you made the same mistake this tax season...did you end up getting your refund??

Soooo.....what happened?

So did u get ur refund 

Did u get your refund 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Has your tax return been accepted by the IRS?  Has it been rejected?

This explains how to check your current status.

If your tax return has rejected, you can add the W-2 and re-submit your tax return.

If your tax return was accepted, you need to wait for your refund, then prepare an amended tax return with the additional W-2.  See here.

IRS Where’s My Refund? may help you determine the status of your Federal tax return.

More information about Federal refunds.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So what happened? Did they catch the missing w2 or did you have to amend? I filed them got a another w2 few days after. I am hoping they just correct it for me since it will add extra 4k in my return. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@Jdessert78

You will have to amend the return to add the extra W-2. The IRS will not do it for you.

The form (1040X) is not ready yet, but since your return will need to be processed before amending and since the IRS did not start accepting e-files for processing until January 27th, you shouldn't amend your return for at least a few weeks.

Please watch this link (TurboTax FAQ on Amending Returns), and when the instructions for amending 2019 returns appear, you can start the amendment process then. Follow these instructions to open TurboTax and add your new W-2.

NOTE: this is a good reason to not e-file your return before the IRS opens up e-filing, because the time lag gives you a chance to make any corrections to your return before you actually file. Once you e-file the return, it is too late to change without amending the return instead.

NOTE NOTE: if by chance your e-file is rejected by the IRS, then you will have a chance to add your W-2 and then try to e-file again. Watch the status of your return.

jtabb

Did the IRS add in your missing W2s and then send you the offset refund or did you get your original amount expected? I forgot two of my husband's as well (he worked several jobs last year), so just wondering what to expect. Our return has been accepted, just not yet approved. Thanks! 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

You will need to file an amended return and add the W2s that is missing from your return. 

You will need to wait until the IRS has accepted your original return before filing the amendment. If you are to receive a refund, wait until you receive it before filing the amended return. If you owed the IRS money, then wait for your payment to clear. 

For TurboTax Online, simply login to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.

You can find out more about amending a return here

tlgreen911
Returning Member

when will they have the amended section for the extra w-2

Scheduled for 2/20

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies